• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sock Question

E6286

OCC 191 Select
OSO said to bring white running socks with no name brands on them. Are Thorlos okay? They don't have a brand name stamp, however, they do have blue on the heel and toe etc... that extends up the back a bit.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Huh? I know its a dumb question but I don't wanna buy expensive socks for nothing. However, they are really padded and warm, which is important considering its going to be freezing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think you'll be okay unless you get shorty socks with pom-poms on them. Perhaps they've tighted up a little, though.

My personal bad experience--I got some ultra high-speed running socks with two layers that would slide against each other. They were supposedly "blister-free." Great for a marathon, perhaps. However, the two-layers would get all bunched-up and out of whack when I was trying to get dressed for PT in 30 sec with a DI yelling at us. I ended up hopping around trying to unass my cool socks while scurrying out of the squad by. Something about OCS brings out one's inner "genius."

phrogpilot73

I would recommend something that wicks, but not something thick and warm. Even if it is going to be cold, remember the mantra (that all FIELD Marines know ;) ) comfortably cool. Even good wicking socks can get overwhelmed once you start sweating. I would look towards something that's a wool blend, wool still insulates when it's wet.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
http://sockcompany.com/thorlorunning.html

So no on these?

They are great socks. I am just concerned with getting reamed out and told not to wear em bc of the blue on the heels etc.... Any other recs are appreciated.

Phrog, nice play on the ingenius socks lol. I was wondering if I shoulda gotten them instead of my blisterguards. Glad I didn't. I don't plan to buy any liner socks though bc most guys seem to say you don't have time to deal with them.

stevo01

hey, you may not take my advice, but i think you are thinking to hard about this. Just get some plain white socks and get it done. KISS.

best of luck

VAmookie

ALRIGHT... LISTEN UP

You can pretty much get whatever kind of socks you want. Get white socks for PT, thats pretty much the only stipulation. They can be short, long, high, low, loose, tight, etc. They can have a nike logo, adidas, reebok, etc. Some guys wear plane white crew length socks from kmart. Other high class individuals wear nike or thorlo socks. i would recommend ankle socks. It was the candidates with the "thigh high" crew length socks that caught the most hell from the DI's. Also, i would recommend 1977 tube socks with stripes on them. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... generic athletic socks, use your head

Give one to stevo (KISS)

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
We got bitched out at OCS 189 for having logo socks. The instructors found all kinds of ways to make fun of the guys with the "hollywood" socks, and being noticed only leads to bad things (think pushing and/or 300 word esays). Thorlos will be good to go, seeing as that they dont have a visible brand when worn. As always, I'm sure this will all depend on your platoon staff...

VAmookie

bitched out??? I seriously doubt that. So you got teased a little but its not like you got boarded for breaking regs.

stevo01

CORPSviation said:
bitched out??? I seriously doubt that. So you got teased a little but its not like you got boarded for breaking regs.

thats what i was thinking.

a little advice.

no matter what you do, you will get your one on one time with the SI's and that time will not be enjoyable, but it will happen...no matter what socks you are wearing.

SMILE4BULLETS

Youre making this harder than it should be

ok, so as far as running socks go HAYNES ankle socks got me through OCS. The best boot socks i have found thus far are "Fox River Military Boot Socks." they are black and have blister guard patches on them. perfect. i never had a blister at OCS and i swear by these socks. and for God's sake, don't start stressing so much over the details bc when you get there youre going to be like...damn, those ziploc bags didnt even really matter. that's my 2 cents