• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Software engineering major

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I searched this forum before posting, but there was no information available on the topic of majoring in software engineering. It is a very new major that is starting to appear on college campuses. (I am not even sure how many of them are available at NROTC schools.)

For those who wonder what the difference is (I had to do research myself), software engineering actually cares about designing software to a user's needs, selecting features, choosing the best language, testing it, addressing issues. The old-school computer science major basically focuses heavily on mathematics, (sometimes) physics, networking tapologies, writing efficient computer code, and writing your own basic operating system.

Now, some Computer Science majors do have physics, and do teach how to design software to a user's needs. The problem is, the best CS major is still not an engineering major like SE is.

Having the luck to realize there is a difference, I am a lot more drawn towards the SE major. The SE major seems to be a lot more useful, and where the future is going. (Who cares about 2 classes on networking now that the Internet is a standard, for example?). It also gives the benefit of having an engineering degree under your belt. What do you guys think or know about this? Is there any reason to take Computer Science (unless you want to go to boat-u and you are stuck with computer science)? Thank you in advance!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Hope I can help. Lets look at your points:

Point 1: I searched this forum .. there was no information ... software engineering.

This is a site dedicated to Naval Aviation. Why would you be searching here for that subject?

Point 2: .. it is a new major .. starting to appear ...

Not true. IBM established an internal SE organization in the mid 70's. Carnigie-Mellon has offered SE for at least 30 years. The list goes on. Several of Mellon professors have established a SE consortium offering consulting software engineering services to business and Government. I hold an interdisciplinary (Computer Science - Business) MBA from American University (1975) with a focus on user level software engineering, so I know a bit of what I am talking about. It is far from new.

Point 3: (I had to do research myself), software engineering actually ...

Be careful throwing out those big words, strung together as if they mean something. Your sentence makes no sense. Tapologies? Did you mean TOPOLOGY. Basic operating system in your context means nothing. The whole paragraph is flawed.

Point 4: Having the luck to realize there is a difference, I ...

If you are looking for luck, you have the wrong organ in your hand. Drop it and take a firm grip on your rabbit's foot instead.

My advice: Your goal of being a PAO in the Navy is reasonable. Talk to your high school counselor. Go see your Navy recruiter about enlisting as a Journalist striker when you graduate from high school. They will be glad to help, I am sure.

Secondly, be careful of the Internet. You obviously limited your search to one site, and the one you found may have been many years old and woefully out of date.

Third: Learn not to BS. There are those that will see through it for what it is.

Good luck and keep your grades up! :) :icon_mi_1 :) :icon_mi_1

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Except hes not in HS, he has a few years of college under his belt...a semester of which he failed intentionally. PAO you need to do real research at this point. Not look for majors that might be easier, or have engineering in the name just to help you later on. What do you plan to do with this major? What school are you looking at? etc?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Except hes not in HS ....

Ahh soooo .. Did not know that, as I had not much background. Was just judging his persona as express in his/her post. Actually, sounded more like junior high. Sorry for that.

No offense.

"with a focus on user level software engineering" is exactly what I am interested in! :D I don't know about the MBA's, but the bachelor's BE programs that I have looked at have all been added in 2002-2003 or 2003-2004 for the first time.

The list of colleges that have a SE major in 2005: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/majors/brief/major_14-0903_brief.php

(On the other hand, even two-year schools have Computer Science.)

The usability aspect of software design/engineering is exactly what I wanted to do a few years ago, but there were no such majors. It was a choice between Computer (hardware) Engineering and Computer Science (in the sciences or mathematics departments.) So, while taking years of computer science courses, I have been actually at home reading up about user interface design, testing, product life cycles, etc.

Would you suggest I make sure to include 3 years of physics for it to count as an Engineering degree? Or, as long as it is a B.E., is it fine? I think this computer stuff and majors will keep changing, and while there is a chance to take the physics, math, and CS courses I have already taken, and apply that knowledge to become a S.E. at any college that accepts me, will be the best move of my life, as that's exactly what I want.

Here's a curriculum of the B.E. in Software Engineering: http://www.mcgill.ca/ece/undergraduate/curriculum/software/2005/eight/

Edit: I just learned that I would have to get a lateral transfer to become a PAO, is that correct? So, NFO/PAO or Crypto/PAO could go hand-in-hand?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PAO said:
Would you suggest I make sure to include 3 years of physics for it to count as an Engineering degree? Or, as long as it is a B.E., is it fine? I think this computer stuff and majors will keep changing, and while there is a chance to take the physics, math, and CS courses I have already taken, and apply that knowledge to become a S.E. at any college that accepts me, will be the best move of my life, as that's exactly what I want.

I've never heard of a Bachelors of Engineering. I have an Electrical Engineering degree from an engineering school, and it's a Bachelor of Science.

As for physics and such, that's not something we can answer. It's something an advisor at the college can answer.

Thank you! McGill had both B.E. in Software Engineering and a B.Sci. in Software Engineering (in Canada.) Five of the 30 SE programs in the US are in Canada. Thanks for the info and support once again.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chief said:
This is a site dedicated to Naval Aviation.
Oh, we do a little more than just Naval Aviation on this website these days.

Steve, thank you for the support. I think being a PAO is something I would love to do! I founded a newspaper in college because that was my interest, before I even knew about the Navy. This seems to be a perfect opportunity. I also like to draw, photography, listen to myself talk, act, etc. I think this is perfect. I wanted to be a Naval Officer for a couple of years now, but was always a little bit hesitant about the careers. Now I know the specific designation I want to shoot for! Steve, I replied to this thread here: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130251#post130251

Status
Not open for further replies.