• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soldier Fired!?

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I don't know. I think there's probably more to the story than what the paper is getting. Sounds like a bad deal, but why was his wife in MD while his unit was in AK? Why was he stuck at the airport for a month and a half? Too many unknowns for me to try and guess who's right here. Something smells fishy though.

Did you see the people trying to set up a meeting with fnp.reader? Wow! Cracked me up.

brownshoe

Contributor
I don't know. I think there's probably more to the story than what the paper is getting. Sounds like a bad deal, but why was his wife in MD while his unit was in AK? Why was he stuck at the airport for a month and a half? Too many unknowns for me to try and guess who's right here. Something smells fishy though.

Did you see the people trying to set up a meeting with fnp.reader? Wow! Cracked me up.

Yes, it sounds as though part of the story is missing. That's why I posted the article, I'd like to see some input from the members here. Something does sound a bit strange. Why the lapse in time?

Steve

(And yes, fnp.reader is a regular poster. Fun stuff.:)).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like he went UA. Lots of details omitted and regulations diregarded.

brownshoe

Contributor
Sounds like he went UA. Lots of details omitted and regulations diregarded.

Thanks, Schnugg for responding. But what's going on here? FUBAR?

If you read the article it sounds as though the kid was trying to comply with regulations.

Just curious, that's all.

Steve

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard his Mother on the radio talking about this...her argument leaked worse than a dutch dam.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I'm a little curious just because it's something I haven't been exposed to yet. When you ship to Iraq or Afghanistan, do you fly commercial, or would you be on a military flight? It sounds like this kid was stuck at the airport forever, and I don't see how that could happen with a military transport flight. Then again, I don't see how you could fly commercial to a place like Kandahar, but having never IAed, this is an area I'm not really familiar with. I think in this case it could make a difference, but the story didn't touch on it real well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard his Mother on the radio talking about this...her argument leaked worse than a dutch dam.

I can't see how it can be known at this point whether he made half-hearted attempts to rejoin his command betting on the come line that he'd get an extension due to his circumstances. The military has been down this road so many times so I tend to believe he's either working the situation with family wanting him to stay or not bright enough to connect when he should have. Normally, the wife would be in the vicinity of the post so wife's club/Ombudsman (or whatever Army calls it) could rally and also let command know what was going on. Ombudsman really earn their keep in this regard because it is amazing what spouses will cook up or inflate to get their loved one home, especially when there is threat of danger (ie combat zone).

brownshoe

Contributor
I'm a little curious just because it's something I haven't been exposed to yet. When you ship to Iraq or Afghanistan, do you fly commercial, or would you be on a military flight? It sounds like this kid was stuck at the airport forever, and I don't see how that could happen with a military transport flight. Then again, I don't see how you could fly commercial to a place like Kandahar, but having never IAed, this is an area I'm not really familiar with. I think in this case it could make a difference, but the story didn't touch on it real well.

This is why I made the post. Something doesn't sound right.

Steve

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like a CF. The article makes it appear he's an innocent victim and the Army is the heartless perp. The only victim here is the kid who is not vaccinated nor has health insurance. There's got to be a lot more to the story.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
20-yr old Pfc. with an 18-year-old wife and a kid.

Sounds like a recepie for trouble.