• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some pretty cool WWII pictures

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
As a history buff of the Navy in the Pacific of WWII, I thought I had seen about every picture published - but many of those were new to me. And, I agree that pic # 45 was a pleasant surprise particularly because the grave site works were done by the Japanese Army. Of course, this was early in the war and american soldiers & japanese army soldiers were "meeting" each other for the 1st time face to face. It got ugly fast after we invaded the Solomons in August of '42.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
As far as landing on carriers goes, who had it tougher? Obviously these guys were landing a lot slower, but they had less technology to help them land, whereas the opposite is true for today's tailhookers.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
And look at the caption for #41. 191 MIAs??? On a deserted island? I wonder how that played out.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Pic #5 narrative- The JOPA was strong in the Pacific. God bless them all.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Pic #5 narrative- The JOPA was strong in the Pacific. God bless them all.

I thought the same thing, " Wow, I'm a 1st Lt... I can't imagine a situation where I would be the XO of a squadron..."

jmcquate

Contributor
As far as landing on carriers goes, who had it tougher? Obviously these guys were landing a lot slower, but they had less technology to help them land, whereas the opposite is true for today's tailhookers.

Remember, most of the time there were aircraft spotted on the bow. The angled deck didn't exist during WWII. That means no bolters, you had to get abourd.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I thought the same thing, " Wow, I'm a 1st Lt... I can't imagine a situation where I would be the XO of a squadron..."

As a 1LT, you could be in the XO slot at the company level. Yeah, I know it's not quite the same amount of accountability, but it's still a lot of responsibility.

I really found picture #6 to be interesting. I had no idea that the B-17 was involved in attacking the carriers at the Battle of Midway. That's something I never learned watching "Midway." Though, by the looks of things in the picture, the B-17 isn't exactly good at striking a moving target.

jmcquate

Contributor
Strategic bombers attacking warships was one of Mitchells core aurguments for the Army investing in them. And the demo he set up, sinking an anchored Ausfreidland, played a part in his courts martial.

blackbart22

pilot
The narrator on the Victory at Sea episode about the Battle of Midway said " Army B-17s dropped bomb after bomb after bomb - - - -- - - - and scored miss after miss after miss"

GroundPounder

And look at the caption for #41. 191 MIAs??? On a deserted island? I wonder how that played out.

I thought the same thing, could it be that maybe they drowned and/or were washed away during the landings?

I guess that a typo that has consistently been reported after almost 70 years could be culprit.