• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Questions from a Student.....

alanbrit

Hi, first day on the forum, glad to have found this place.

Here are my questions (and situation)

I am currently a student studying computer engineering/science and I have always wanted to be a marine. I tried to join USMC straight from high school, but they said I couldnt because I was NOT a U.S Citizen :(. I STILL am not, so I decided to just finish school, since all the terrorism b.s all the immigration processing has been lagging like crazy..I still dont know when I will get my citizenship (im here legally though).

Here are my questions:

1.) Say I finish my degree, and I still have not recieved my citizenship, is there anyway to Join the USMC ? (I want to be a officer and get into a InfoSec job (computer security) ) Because I dont want to be wasting my time after graduating..or I could just stay in school forever till I get my citizenship.

*Note: I have 'heard' about many mexican immigrants joining the corps without citizenship...how is this possible if they told me NO?

2.) I know theres tons of things I can do RIGHT NOW (incld being in shape) that will help me in the future..should it ever happen, what would you recommend for a future OCS candidate ? (I heard it was very tough) Any tips ? Anything you wished you have done ? (maybe learn about the corp ? memorize stuff? leadership?)

3.) What are the time of commitment for officers ? Is it 4 years ?

4.) I also heard that marine officers arent usually respected by people in the lower ranks...and when I attended the devil pups program a few years ago after high school, one of my instructors confirmed this (he said : he doesnt get along well with officers etc..) Why exactly is this ? Do officers really have it easier? (i dont think so, i mean school is tough too)

Thats all for now (all I can think of)

Thanks loat :)

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
You must be a U.S. citizen in order to be in a commissioning program.

Work on getting that citizenship. In the meantime you can be working out. Run at least three miles (with hills preferably), do sit-ups/crunches, work on dead hang pull-ups. Get yourself in good shape, it will help you during the application process.

Commitments to the Corps vary. A ground contract I believe is 4 years. I could be wrong.

As for enlisted Marines not respecting officers...I wouldn't know seeing as how I've really only been surrounded officers so far. I will say every enlisted Marine I've been in contact with so far has shown complete professionalism in dealing with O's (even boots like me).:)

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
You must be a citizen to become an Officer

You can enlist if you have a green card, and you will get citizenship once your contract it up.

A standard contract for a Marine Corps officer in a ground job if 3.5 years

Enlisted Marines are renowed for showing professionalism to senior ranking individuals. The whole respect thing is up to you and what kind of officer you are

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I know a few immigrants in the officer corps. They all wish they spoke better English when they first joined up. If English is your second language, work on your grammar and pronunciation. This will reap you benefits.

alanbrit

I know a few immigrants in the officer corps. They all wish they spoke better English when they first joined up. If English is your second language, work on your grammar and pronunciation. This will reap you benefits.

Heh, grammar, pronounciation etc..is not even a problem. Almost everyone I meet think that I was literally born in the states, If anything, I speak better than some of my peers.

Thats very strange how some of you have seen non-citizens in the USMC, I am sure there is a way..But I honestly have no clue.

I know theres TONS Of information to memorize in the USMC and especially in OCS, I want to get a little head-start in this area, can someone kindly recommend me some books perhaps? (on amazon) I was looking at these earlier: http://amazon.com/gp/richpub/listma...ref=cm_lm_srch_fvlm_col_1/102-4182436-4702539

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. (Anyone else?) :)

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
You can enlist in the Marines as a non-citizen, but as was mentioned you need to be a legal permanent resident. A student visa may not allow you to hold a job in the US, and this is the key.

Some things to read:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78192862/m/886109604

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/military.html

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/noncitizen.htm

Enlisting would be an excellent way to get your citizenship before applying for OCS, would give you letters of recommendation, and allow you to find out what the Marines are like from the inside.

winger

FNG
48c08qh.jpg

?

alanbrit

Thanks for the input guys. I really dont understand this citizenship thing..dammit. Oh well..I guess this is life huh.

By the way..do you guys reccommend me reading that list i posted above ^^ ? Just to make the memorizing easier when I get to OCS.

Carno

Insane
Well, I doubt reading that list of books will help you much at OCS. However, it's always a good idea to learn about what you will be signing your life away into, plus it will give you a richer and fuller understanding of what the Marine Corps is about.

Also, reading about what Boot Camp and OCS are like will help you in that you will know sorta what goes on and what to expect. Beyond that though, only strength of body and strength of will can really help you at OCS.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Yeah, I second the physical training thing. I've said this quite a few times since I got sent home with injuries and I'm sure some people here are tired of hearing it, but:

Arrive in shape. This does not mean to overtrain so you arrive tired and near broke already. Just be in shape, especially for running up and down hills with nasty, big roots with hand-like claws on them just itching to grab a candidate's foot and break it. :p

Also, don't undertrain and arrive out of shape. It's hard enough without having to strain just to keep up with your platoon.

That said, everything else you can pretty much deal with as it arises if you are reasonably together as a person. That does NOT mean it's easy.

I think you asked if officers "have it easier." I can't speak from experience, but I don't think that's true. I'm told that OCS is harder than boot camp by a few people, but not having been to both I can't say really. I just know OCS is ain't no joke (but definitely doable.) Maybe someone else can pick this one up?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Oh, the old officer vs enlisted debate.
OCS is more physically intensive, and you are required to think and show a certain level of responsibility. Boot camp is a longer test of will and messes with your mind.
Officers bear the burden of command, in which they are personally responsible for the actions of their subordinates. Enlisted guys enjoy lower pay, poorer living/working conditions, but generally have more fun.
If you want to get down and dirty and be a real Marine, enlisting may be for you. If you want to have a higher level of responsibility and have more of a supervisory/leadership role, commissioning may be for you. The best thing you can do is talk to a non-recruiter Marine for advice.

FutureMarine311

Oh, the old officer vs enlisted debate.
OCS is more physically intensive, and you are required to think and show a certain level of responsibility. Boot camp is a longer test of will and messes with your mind.
Officers bear the burden of command, in which they are personally responsible for the actions of their subordinates. Enlisted guys enjoy lower pay, poorer living/working conditions, but generally have more fun.
If you want to get down and dirty and be a real Marine, enlisting may be for you. If you want to have a higher level of responsibility and have more of a supervisory/leadership role, commissioning may be for you. The best thing you can do is talk to a non-recruiter Marine for advice.

Im sure there are a few Marine officers on this forum that might consider themselves "real Marines".

...just maybe. :eek: