• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sonic Boom in Pensacola Area

gaetabob

pilot
I was outside NASC when it happened...wasn't sure what it was when it happened, but definitely heard it and felt it! :D I know earlier there were a couple F-18s doing touch 'n go's here at NAS...might have been one of them. Anyone know for sure?

gaetabob

pilot
something similar happened in Dallas a couple weeks ago...an F-16 from the plant there was doing tests in a designated area and legitimately broke the sound barrier (as the occationally do there apparently), but because of weather/wind conditions that day it carried the sonic boom into the Dallas/Forth Worth area.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/101206dnmetboom.2acf12fd.html

It could be that those two F-18s, or who ever it was, legitmately went supersonic out over the Gulf, or wherever, and the conditions this evening just carried the boom over the Pensacola area for our listening pleasure...
anyone with a better technical background care to elaborate, explain, or correct my ignorance?

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
When I was down there, the only time it ever occurred is when the space shuttle was inbound on re-entry to Kennedy Space Center. The flight path took it right over Pensacola. Generally you would hear it and could turn on the television to CNN to catch the coverage of the landing. If it was not that then it could have been an F-15 from Eglin on a hop out over the water that went supersonic on purpose or inadvertantly. Happens up here in NC every once in a while with the Strike Eagles out of Seymour Johnson.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for posting that link. My wife and I felt/heard the boom here at our home in Milton. We were both caught by surprise and neither of us were sure exactly what had happened, though I thought it probably was a sonic boom. It sounded a little bit like a short roll of thunder, but thunder alone doesn't make the house shake.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Wife and I were eating 'za near Cordova Mall... was a great feeling... scared the wife tho.

bluemarlin04

i heard it too, was walking back from the gym to charlie barricks, and heard it, was pretty cool, this was on nattc.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Funny, you leave the left hand up in AB a little too long and everyone gets all pissy. I don't know who it was, but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't tell ya'll folks who done it. :icon_smil