• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

South America Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flew a P-3ACH to the tip of South America last week. About as cold as I've been in a long time (sice Misawa, maybe). Went to Punta Arrenas and Puerto Williams, two small navy towns. Not a lot there, but beautiful scenery. Here's some shots of the Andes, Tierra del Fuego, and the general area.

Plus a PBY that just happened to be on the ramp when I got back home.

Attachments

• small andes.JPG
    small andes.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 98
  • small puerto.JPG
    small puerto.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 100
  • small puerto williams.JPG
    small puerto williams.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 72
  • small tierra.JPG
    small tierra.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 106
  • south.JPG
    south.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 82
  • small pby.JPG
    small pby.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 131

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Great shots ... who/what/where is/was that PBY ??? Chilean Navy Air ?? I am a member of the local PBY Assn. and they are seriously looking for a flyable example. Probably too much to hope for --- but whoever is flying it is gonna get rid of it sometime .....

Have you been to Buenos Aires? Rio? Any plans ...??

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The told me they were "bomberos", firefighers.

If the Chilean Navy actually flew those I'd be kissing a$s left and right to get into one. I'm settling for my 1962 classic.

I know, it blew my mind as well, seeing one that actual flies. I walked around it a little, the waist bubbles were removed completely. Still, very cool.

Argentina? Eventually, maybe August for vacation. Trying to fly my 19 yr old brother down so i can booze with him and show him the big bad world. Professionally, my next big "trip" is to scenic Willow Grove for annual simulator runs. Hey, free ticket to my home state, can't complain.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
The told me they were "bomberos", firefighers.

I know, it blew my mind as well, seeing one that actual flies. I walked around it a little, the waist bubbles were removed completely. Still, very cool.
If you can get the name of the company that flies it, please let me know ..... we'll contact them directly.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll go to base ops and the tower on Friday and ask 'em.

Plus, the guys/gals in the tower can finally meet the clown that tries to speak espanol on the radios.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I'll go to base ops and the tower on Friday and ask 'em.

Plus, the guys/gals in the tower can finally meet the clown that tries to speak espanol on the radios.

Great, thanks ... and maybe YOU can meet the clowns who try to speeeeeek-a de Ingles ??? Or do they do it all in Espanol? When I flew in SA with B.ig I.diot --- all the towers/controllers spoke "passable" English.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Great, thanks ... and maybe YOU can meet the clowns who try to speeeeeek-a de Ingles ??? Or do they do it all in Espanol? When I flew in SA with B.ig I.diot --- all the towers/controllers spoke "passable" English.

If you check in "en ingles", they respond to you in english. However all military and light civilian traffic use spanish 90% of the time. Pretty scary, if you consider how busy Santiago International is with the big boys coming in, using english, and controllers using both languages.

Part of general SA (IMHO) is listening to the calls other guys get and being able to build your own mental picture and possibly anticipate what could happen next. Switching languages back and forth leads to confusion and error. Already I've heard folks use left/right, izquierda/derecha and meaning the exact opposite. Add to that a general lack of radar control, full approaches (picture me on my first flight down here digging into the cranium to recall procedure turns and holding entries), and crazy terrain. I don't feel bad on days when I don't have much ground work to do, I know I've earned my paycheck on my last flight.

I spend a good 2-3 hours a day reviewing a gouge packet I had to make with commonly used communication terminology. 15 pages and adding daily. Funzo.

DanMav- thanks. I post this stuff to show the wannabees/gonnabees/about-tabees some of the possibilities.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Zab, I hope you were being serious. I was, they are really awesome shots. I can't wait until I'm in your shoes, I'm trying my hardest, right now it's really just a waiting period to graduate high school. But for real, I am amazed really by most of the photos on this site, and yours too, were really cool.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
are you planning on going back to the island (del fuego)? my dad spent his high school years there.... still talks about how beautiful it is....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Part of general SA (IMHO) is listening to the calls other guys get and being able to build your own mental picture and possibly anticipate what could happen next. Switching languages back and forth leads to confusion and error. Already I've heard folks use left/right, izquierda/derecha and meaning the exact opposite. Add to that a general lack of radar control, full approaches (picture me on my first flight down here digging into the cranium to recall procedure turns and holding entries), and crazy terrain.
Ahh, reminds me of the good old days in Japan and the teeth sucking controller after making what I thought was a relatively simple request. Ahh...too hard...too hard...you cleared direct (insert destination).

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Part of general SA (IMHO) is listening to the calls other guys get and being able to build your own mental picture and possibly anticipate what could happen next. Switching languages back and forth leads to confusion and error.

Absolutely ... think about flying in/around the Pacific Rim and the different "versions" of English you might encounter -- Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Taiwaniese, Malay, Moke, Australian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, Tagalog, even Guamanian -- just to name a few. You always have to stay "ahead" of them and anticipate what is coming. The funniest thing is to get a new guy and put him on the radio --- it will bring subject new guy to tears while trying to understand controllers radio calls.

pc.jpg
bok6.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Ahh, reminds me of the good old days in Japan and the teeth sucking controller after making what I thought was a relatively simple request. Ahh...too hard...too hard...you cleared direct (insert destination).
Brett

Very true ... I've found what works best with foreign controllers (when you know the program and the issue is 'understanding') is to "just say NO" ... and TELL them what you are going to do. Works every time .... the Ugly American is still alive and well in my cockpit.

031867.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.