• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

South Korea Launches into Naval Aviation

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
In what situation could they possibly use that thing?

Which brings a similiar question to mind: how can the Japanese have landing ships for a defensive military? Is landing troops on your own beaches an accepted tactic/strategy?

Me, I'd pay more attention to the Chinese getting cozy with Pakistan.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
eddie said:

Which brings a similiar question to mind: how can the Japanese have landing ships for a defensive military? Is landing troops on your own beaches an accepted tactic/strategy?

Think about their neighbor to the north...

In recent years, the Japanese military has been expanding its reach (Remember the ships it sent to support OEF...).

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
eddie said:

Obviously they intend to launch a surprise attack by airdropping cheap televisions into every home in America.

Or maybe they just feel like this makes it easier for them to reduce North Korea to a parking lot.

Nah, that's rediculous, it's definately the televisions...

Richthofen

Doesn't matter if they get light carrier or whatever high tech weapon.
As long as their leader remains left wing side, they will follow whatever their shorty "Brother" tell them to. =/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys are joking, right? I mean it's South Korea, a country that is still at war. Not to mention the fact that its neighbor is harnessing the atom. How many different NK SOF forces have been caught or seen on SK turf? It is very much a valuable asset should "stuff happen."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Because, w/out getting into OPSEC, if it ever went down, NK would send everything it had, anyway it can, south. That includes by water. And what is a way to kill things on the water? Sea Combat Control. And who flies a lot of those missions? Helos. And what does an amphibous helicopter carrier carry? ...

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
I think I'm going to start every post with "Without getting into OPSEC..." - just to bring the intrigue factor up.

Real aviators including above: I'm kidding, of course.

Lawman

None
gatordev said:
You guys are joking, right? I mean it's South Korea, a country that is still at war. Not to mention the fact that its neighbor is harnessing the atom. How many different NK SOF forces have been caught or seen on SK turf? It is very much a valuable asset should "stuff happen."

One of my dads best friends spent a few years in SK, has more then a few stories about being up on the DMZ as a combat medic and having small scale firefights. Honestly Id feel a lot less safe In South Korea now then I would have thirty years ago sitting next to the Fulda Gap. Im all for arming the crap out of the SK's and the Japanese. Yes we maintain a lot of firepower in the area, but it would look a whole lot better on the world PR stage if the local countries were taking up a good portion of the fighting instead of just the US and Britain.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
gatordev said:
Because, w/out getting into OPSEC, if it ever went down, NK would send everything it had, anyway it can, south. That includes by water. And what is a way to kill things on the water? Sea Combat Control. And who flies a lot of those missions? Helos. And what does an amphibous helicopter carrier carry? ...
That's why I ask questions.

When I think assault ship... I think MEUs, so, my mistake.

Which brings up another question: do dedicated helicopter carriers exist, or are they all variations of assault ships?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, it's not exclusive to MEUs. The MEUs are made up of CAS, so it's all that. Obviously if bad guys are trying to take ground from the North, the good guys will want to take ground from the South. To be honest, I don't really want to get into any more about it with out actually seeing what's public on the 'net. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but just the name for that whole scenario was classifed until a year or two ago. I'm never really sure how much is public and how much has the "(S)" next to it, so I just kind of don't think about it. ;)

I'd poke around on www.globalsecurity.net or Janes. A lot of their info isn't always correct, but you major stuff is.