• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SR-71 Manual

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I found this kind of amusing...

"Figure 3-4 shows that an unstart is probable below Mach 2.8 if the aft bypass is not open."

:eek: Damn...that is an amazing aircraft.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
The numbers in that manual are insane.

Maximum Mach In Normal Flight = 3.2
Maximum Altitude = 85,000 ft.

I would love to talk to someone who has flown the SR-71 at those numbers.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I took my FAA practical with a former SR-71 RSO. The manual was on his shelf, that thing is so damn thick. Needless to say, not an easy grader, but I have my license and can't complain.

S3b_viking

My flight instructor and mentor went to SR-71 flight training and was there, but got out before he flew because he said, "it was the most borning flying he had ever done." He said you took off and then you switched it over to autopilot and flew it by three trim wheels. This is coming from an F-4 guy during Vietnam, flew the F-106, F-104, and was an Air Force Test Pilot who finished off as a Col. He said it was great for about 30 min, but after that it got to be boring and just ardious. Interesting I thought.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My flight instructor and mentor went to SR-71 flight training and was there, but got out before he flew because he said, "it was the most borning flying he had ever done."
Sounds fishy to me....was his name Sketterman? (BTW, I found some video of Skeeterman flying.....)

People just don't go through all the hurdles and hassles of getting into a program like SR-71 flying without doing their research on the program. And the USAF would not look kindly on a pilot who quit such an expensive and selective program because it was "boring". The chances of such a pilot going to TPS and making O-6 would be small.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Sounds fishy to me....was his name Sketterman? (BTW, I found some video of Skeeterman flying.....)

People just don't go through all the hurdles and hassles of getting into a program like SR-71 flying without doing their research on the program. And the USAF would not look kindly on a pilot who quit such an expensive and selective program because it was "boring". The chances of such a pilot going to TPS and making O-6 would be small.

My thoughts as well. Not to mention the various psychological testing that was in place which I would think would weed out any quitters.

S3b_viking

Sounds fishy to me....

Understandable but he came in towards the end of the program, he was an O-5 at that point, he did pass all of the requirements, and did request a transfer out after spending about 2 months there having only done some of the training. He did not get to actually flying the aircraft, only the simulator.