• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sta 21 or ocs

originalbigjim

which is easier to get into sta 21 or ocs for an enlisted guy? i understand that there is only about 1200 sta 21 spots and like 10000 apply, i don't know the numbers for sure on that but anyone know they numbers for ocs? I am sure the number are higher for ocs but does that factor in enlisted guys on active duty. thanks in advance.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I would suspect that STA-21 is somewhat more competitive since the Navy would have a larger outlay of cash to put you through the program...degree, several PCS's etc... I have no hard info on this but it makes sense. That said, if your package is strong...why not you?

Also, if you are eligible for OCS, (you have a degree), you wouldn't be eligible for STA-21...so, in your case, it seems like we need more info to really help much.

dsimonds

I agree... If you do not have a degree yet though, If you do not have any college credits, take some courses and get the ball rolling. Either way it will be a start on being eligible for OCS and make you a little more competitive for STA-21. Good Luck.

originalbigjim

As I posted before on another post, I am an AEAN and have been in for a little over 2 years, i have 129 credits and counting from clep, military and college courses, I currently do not have a degree but I am very close and if i want to i could get a degree in general studies BUT i am not sure that is what i want. I have taken all of my courses via Internet and i feel like i am missing out on the college experience, also i am very concerned about odds. odds of a commission, odds of making rank, also odds for various programs. I am very concerned that if i get a degree from excelsior it will hurt me later in my career, A BA is not my educational limit I am already looking into a masters programs. I am not sure if any this actually matters, but my questions still remains which program is easier to get into OCS or STA 21, I hear of people getting turned down for OCS and their track records sound great, from what they say. Would it be in my best interest to complete my degree and DQ from sta 21 or apply for STA 21 and put my degree on hold. thanks guys.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
As I posted before on another post, I am an AEAN and have been in for a little over 2 years, i have 129 credits and counting from clep, military and college courses, I currently do not have a degree but I am very close and if i want to i could get a degree in general studies BUT i am not sure that is what i want. I have taken all of my courses via Internet and i feel like i am missing out on the college experience, also i am very concerned about odds. odds of a commission, odds of making rank, also odds for various programs. I am very concerned that if i get a degree from excelsior it will hurt me later in my career, A BA is not my educational limit I am already looking into a masters programs. I am not sure if any this actually matters, but my questions still remains which program is easier to get into OCS or STA 21, I hear of people getting turned down for OCS and their track records sound great, from what they say. Would it be in my best interest to complete my degree and DQ from sta 21 or apply for STA 21 and put my degree on hold. thanks guys.

Well as I told you before, I was selected this year for STA-21. I didn't tell you, however, thatI am only like 10-15 credits away from my degree with Excelsior. I have my AS with them, but I decided to wait on a Bachelor's to go back to school, whether that means going back home to Texas, or going back to school in Michigan. To be honest with you, I don't think a degree from Excelsior will necessarily hurt you, having a military background. What I'm saying is, with military experience, depending on what you are looking at going into when you get out, you are marketable. I will add that this is what I've been told by prior military, as well as some guys about to get out telling me what jobs they have had offered to them. The offer I presented to you a couple of weeks ago still stands. If you would like more information on STA-21, find me and we can get together. LT Scott in 400 div is a great contact, as she is the one that runs the program for our command. Hope this helps.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Didn't you already get these questions answered in the other thread? Your questions doesn't make any sense to me. If you were worried about a lack of perceived "prestige" from your undergrad work and that it might prevent you from getting into a good masters program, why did you all but complete your degree at the "lesser" school? What's the plan here? Are you going to trash all your work to this point and start over at a school you think makes the cut? What's done is done, and like I advised you in the other thread, take your credits and get a degree in the fastest and easiest way possible. The source of your degree has little to no bearing on your chances of selection to commissioning programs, and I can guarantee that it has zero effect on your subsequent naval career. Grad schools are going to place far more emphasis on your experience as an officer, your GRE scores and GPA than where you did your undergrad work. Since you're asking for our advice here, stop wringing your hands about minutiae, get your degree, and apply to OCS. Assuming you pick up a commission, your earliest reasonable opportunity for grad school will be 4-5 years away, so cross that bridge when you come to it.

Brett

originalbigjim

Didn't you already get these questions answered in the other thread? Your questions doesn't make any sense to me. If you were worried about a lack of perceived "prestige" from your undergrad work and that it might prevent you from getting into a good masters program, why did you all but complete your degree at the "lesser" school? What's the plan here? Are you going to trash all your work to this point and start over at a school you think makes the cut? What's done is done, and like I advised you in the other thread, take your credits and get a degree in the fastest and easiest way possible. The source of your degree has little to no bearing on your chances of selection to commissioning programs, and I can guarantee that it has zero effect on your subsequent naval career. Grad schools are going to place far more emphasis on your experience as an officer, your GRE scores and GPA than where you did your undergrad work. Since you're asking for our advice here, stop wringing your hands about minutiae, get your degree, and apply to OCS. Assuming you pick up a commission, your earliest reasonable opportunity for grad school will be 4-5 years away, so cross that bridge when you come to it.

Brett

your right. thanks for the kick in the as$, I am going to stay the course and get my degree, put an ocs package, and see what happens.

boobcheese

Depending on how long its going to take you to finish your degree, why not drop a STA-21 package along the way. It can only increase your chances of getting a commission and getting paid to go to school full time is a pretty good deal. Just ask Brett.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Depending on how long its going to take you to finish your degree, why not drop a STA-21 package along the way. It can only increase your chances of getting a commission and getting paid to go to school full time is a pretty good deal. Just ask Brett.

^^^Bump...

SQUIDutah

pilot

Brett

Brett is right in most cases, but I also had a buddy that got his degree over the internet, but was not able to get into OCS due to "not being traditional degree" (too many CLEP, and non-traditional classes). His was through Temple U (I believe). I say apply for everything and allow the Navy to sort it all out. Get your degree and apply for OCS... if not picked up you still have a strong STA-21 package to send in as a back up plan.

boobcheese

Get your degree and apply for OCS... if not picked up you still have a strong STA-21 package to send in as a back up plan.

BAD GOUGE! As was mentioned earlier once you have a Bachelors you are no longer eligible for STA-21. The better strategy would be to give STA-21 at least one go and if you don't get picked up finish your degree and try for OCS as a back up.

SQUIDutah

pilot
BAD GOUGE! As was mentioned earlier once you have a Bachelors you are no longer eligible for STA-21. The better strategy would be to give STA-21 at least one go and if you don't get picked up finish your degree and try for OCS as a back up.

It is correct to have a degree, but it states an accepted degree. The person above should check to see if it is an accredited degree. If you get a degree from Manilla in Architecture, it will not always be accepted by all organizations. I added this because I also have a friend at NSI for STA-21 with a degree that came from a non-accredited university. He applied for OCS and was turned away. He then applied for the STA-21 with his transcripts and now has to start from scratch. He was able to transfer some of his credits to SDSU, but he now has to start as a mid-year freshman. I appologize if I was not clear in my earlier post