• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stipend Increase...?

So my roomate (Army ROTC cadet) insists he read paperwork last week that cited an increase in stipend amounts for all ROTC program's members. Not sure of the other ranks, but he said the pay for seniors would be increased from $400/mo to $500/mo, with back-pay to Sept 05.

I asked our secretary at the unit about this last week and she had heard nothing of the sort, and that the CO would have most likely mentioned it to her seeing as how he just got back from the PNS conference recently.

Anyone else heard about a possible increase? Don't get me wrong, it'd be sweet, but I just don't want to go getting my hopes/expenses up prematurely.

jai5w4

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I remember hearing this exact same rumor back when I was a mid in ROTC. OF course the actual amounts were lower.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
You notice that menacing shadow over the ROTC building?

Its the bullsh!t flag...

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
OK either the whole AROTC establishment is pulling everyone's leg or there is some legitimacy to this. I just talked to someone here who gave me the same word: 500/month plus back pay to Oct 2005.

I have to eat what I said about the bullsh!t flag... but will gladly do so for $100 bucks more a month.

UPDATE: Ok I googled the sh!t out of this and can't find anything NAVY related. From what I could read (I got bored quickly) the 2006 Defense Authorization Bill removed the cap on stipends.

The ARMY upped theirs to $500... which is why there are a ton of ARMY people and ARMY sites saying they're getting a raise.

Meanwhile there appears to be no equivalent information on our side. I guess we'll have to look at those LES forms on 1 FEB.

pennst8 said:
...I guess we'll have to look at those LES forms on 1 FEB.

Don't count on it. I was told it doesn't kick in until Feb 6-7th or something, therefore we wouldn't see it until the 15th at the earliest.

jai5w4

billiken2002

pilot
Our CO told us at the beginning of the semester that this stipend raise looked like it was going to happen. He told us though that it probably would not take affect until next semester.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
This affects USNA mids as well if it goes through, correct?

I would doubt it, since they get paid a completely different number. As a USNA mid, you're paid a salary that's some fraction of E-5 (I think it is). For ROTC, you're paid a stipend, which is tax free. Totally different pot of money, since the USNA kids are full-time active duty.

Phantom Hawk

My CO mentioned somethin about a stipend increase as well but added that it was to be used as an incentive to get people taking tech majors. I don't know if tech majors would be the only ones to get a raise or if there will even be a raise, but he said they did talk about it at the PNS conference and hinted towards it being a reality "in the not so distant future."