• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stress Fractures and Shin Splints

Trev82

pilot
I've been hearing a lot about these from various people, how prevelant are stress fractures and shin splints in OCC. Do they hit most ppl, pretty much hit or miss, etc. Is training prior to leaving for OCC and doing LOTS of stretching pretty much the best way to prevent it, along w/ good running shoes......does anybody know of particular techniques used? If you are subject to a stress fracture or shin splint can you usually grind through it and make it through (unless your bone breaks) ?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't know how often they occur, but I can tell you the reasons why they occur.

Improper footwear. This is your health and possibly a delay in your career. Do not skimp on running shoes.

Improper stretching/warmup technique.

In some cases just having high arches can cause shin splints. Shin splints in general have been discussed at length on this board. If you use the search function you can find a lot of good gouge.

Trev82

pilot
feddoc

Much appreciated! I will look into them, i did go online and google preventative measures for shin splints and there are a lot of stretches and exercises available all of which seem very hard to remember to integrate into the stretching routine but w/ a solid stretch routine, good nutrition, and proper shoes ideally one should be ok right?

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Shin splints and stress fractures are the most prevalent reason people get NPQed from OCS. In my platoon last year, we lost 10 candidates to these problems. Only a few who develop them will make it through the pain and OCS. Stretch, stretch, stretch, also go to a running store and have them analyze your running style and have them recommend a good pair of running shoes. Don’t be afraid of the sticker shock they will most likely be over $100. Never go cheap on the shoes also find good insoles made for running, I would also recommend purchasing the real bio-soles(not the ones they make you but at OCS) at least 2 pairs, 3 if you buy a pair of Bates lites, which I also recommend on bring with you to OCS. If you take care of your feet/legs, you will be in good shape to finish OCS without any issues.

NapalmRat

another tip is to stretch at night in the rack. not only will it help u sleep better if you are on the verge of developing cramps, but it will make u wake up feeling more refreshed with whatever u stretched. 6 hours of ur muscles not being used is a long time for them to regress and be stiff in the morning.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
when I had mine, every night I would take a towel or a shirt or something and then put a bag of ice on my leg, wrap the towel around it and then tie it up to the bottom of the rack on top of me (doesnt really work if you get the top rack). Either way, make sure to stretch and then ice and elevate for a small amount of time at night. Keeping that swelling down is huge. You need to take care of yourself before and after injuries happen. But sometimes there is only so much that you can do. Sometimes your body will just break or some accident outside your control will happen. You'll find the occaisional upper body injury like a torn shoulder, or broken finger, etc. but the vast majority of them will be lower body. They told us that roughly 80% of the injuries that they see occur below the knee. Those arent numbers from some scientific study but you get the point. Our company commander even busted his ankle (i think) on one of the early runs.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Yes, He did Major J right. Also, my platoons Gunny broke his ankle while leading a squad run he was only out around 10 days. Both tough as nails.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The biggest way to prevent shin splints or other leg injuries is to be in good shape before you get there.

Shoes are good too - I recommend Brooks (Adrenaline GTS if you overpronate) or Asics 2120's.

Both should be sub $100 and are outstanding running shoes. Those two I mentioned are probably the most popular I have seen.

Trev82

pilot
guys

thanks a lot for all your replies, i've really begun to stretch like there's no tomorrow pre and post workout to get myself flexible and build dexterity. How often do the torn shoulders occur and do you have an idea on what exercises they usually happen on, ive separated my shoulder a few times primarily from freak accidents (trying to do a flip wakeboarding, surfing, and getting a fight) but its been over 2 years since its even hinted at coming out i've been strengthening it over that period of time doing various shoulder exercises in the gym and its been back at full strength for 2 years or so.. i feel as look as i concentrate on keeping it secure while i'm there and not doing stupid flailing maneuvers i should be ok....but like one said there are always freak accidents..

Slammer2

Contributor
we only had one guy in my platoon hurt his shoulder bad. It was during the LRC and he was trying to climb a rope and kind of fell, but then caught himself with one hand. It snapped his shoulder pretty hard because he caught himself while falling. Like I said earlier, its rare to seriously damage your upper body, but I'd be careful if you have a prior injury. Just make sure that you keep stretching it or whatever you've been doing to take care of it. I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much.

Trev82

pilot
what i figured.......

thanks slammer, thats what i figured, for the most part i have a feeling the only place to worry is lower body, and when upper body comes into play just concentrate and focus like hell not to Fook up. I just did a run this morning up a little hill here in SD 1600 feet 40 minutes up and down feeling great! Do that plus some speed intervals and regular runs and that 3 miler should be a cake!!

Slammer2

Contributor
As far as the shin splints go, the only times that I felt like I was getting them would be at the end of the humps that we moved really fast on and when we would do the "shuffle" for long periods of time. I would prefer to just run (even though I suck at it) than to force myself to run slow. Also make sure not to run flat footed while shuffling from place to place. That will really start to make your shins sore.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I think I can help you on the stress fracture issue. Too much too fast will lead to a stress fracture. Bad shoes, like the guys have been saying, will also lead to a stress fracture. If you don't replace your shoes every...what is it...like 500 miles?...that can also lead to stress fracture. Heel striking can lead to a stress fracture. Running too much on hard surfaces like concrete will lead to a stress fracture...my doc told me that the all weather rubberized track we have at school is A-OKAY.

And if you don't get a stress fracture, you can still get a stress reaction. That's what I had...the doctors out here kept telling me I had shin splints, but it hurt like a mother and no amount of ice packs, ice baths, heat, ultrasound would fix it. I had to goto a sports doctor in LA and get an MRI to find out I actually had a stress reaction...which is basically your bone just before it breaks into a fracture. And then to make it worse I was out of action for like 10 weeks before it healed enough for running.

Take care of your damn feet.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The biggest way to prevent shin splints or other leg injuries is to be in good shape before you get there.

Shoes are good too - I recommend Brooks (Adrenaline GTS if you overpronate) or Asics 2120's.

Both should be sub $100 and are outstanding running shoes. Those two I mentioned are probably the most popular I have seen.
I can't beat the "good shoes" drum loud enough. Spend the extra cash and get the proper gear for your feet. And make sure you're getting the right shoes for your feet, not someone elses. Go to a running store (not a foot locker or sports authority) and get someone who knows what they're doing to see what kind of shoes your feet need.