• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Student Loan Payback Info!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Here is some news for all of you that graduated in Dec or about to graduate. First of all, you should know that you get a 6 month variance for starting to repay your loans. ie grad dec start paying in June. Here is the kicker!! All you have to do is call the 1-800 number on your federal student loan paperwork and tell them that you are now on active duty. They will extend your variance up to the number of months on your active duty orders. I called in to the info center and told them I was going on active duty to ocs and flight school instead of going to grad school and they didnt even ask to see my orders. They just put it in their computer. I've had two other guys that went to school with me do the same. Check it out. Any questions, let me know.

Dave

Paul Burke

Whoa!!! Hold up. let me get this straight. Once I go on active duty my student loan payments can be deffered the entire time I'm on active duty? Did they say whether or not the loans would be accruing interest during that time?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiosity, I looked this up online, check out the Department of Education website: http://www.ed.gov/PressReleases/09-2001/09242001c.html

quote:
U.S. Education Department Grants Loan Relief to Military Personnel Called to Active Duty
Also asks colleges and universities to refund tuition and charges

To assist members of the military who have been reassigned or activated as a result of the recent terrorist attacks, the U.S. Department of Education today directed lenders and colleges and universities to provide them with relief from their student loan obligations.

"The young men and women who serve our country have an enormous job to do in the coming months," said U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige. "The actions we are taking today will ease their financial burdens as they defend our country in these challenging times."

Today's actions apply to members of the National Guard and the Ready Reserves of the Armed Forces who have been called to active duty. The department's guidance relates to student loans made under the Federal Family Education Loan, William D. Ford Loan, and Federal Perkins Loan programs.

Under the department's guidance, lenders will automatically postpone the student loan payments of borrowers during the period of the borrower's active duty service. Borrowers with subsidized student loans will be eligible to have the federal government assume the interest payments on their loans while they are on military duty.

For military personnel called to active duty whose loans are not yet in repayment because they are currently students, or have only recently left school and are therefore in a grace period, the department has directed lenders to hold their loans in their current deferment status. Borrowers will not be required to make payments to their lenders during the term of their military service, as well as for a reasonable amount of additional time for the borrower to resume enrollment in school. In addition, borrowers generally receive a 6 to 9 month grace period after leaving school, and the department's action ensures that these students will not lose the benefit of this grace period as a result of their service.

In additional guidance, the department strongly encouraged colleges and universities to provide either a full refund of tuition and other institutional charges or comparable credit to students forced to withdraw from school to fulfill their military obligations. The department also urged schools to offer flexible re-enrollment options to these affected students and to other students who have been forced to withdraw from school as a result of the terrorist attacks.

"Many people's families and livelihoods have been dramatically changed by recent events," Paige said, "and I hope the nation's colleges and universities will give people time and flexibility to return to their normal routines and activities, just as I hope they work with the department to help our military reservists make the transition to active duty."

The department's actions also relax requirements that schools return federal financial aid to the government when a student aid recipient withdraws from school. As a result of today's actions, students who withdraw because they are called to active duty or have been affected by the military mobilization, as well as others who withdraw as a direct result of the terrorist attacks, will not be required to return financial aid funds they received for books and living expenses.

Borrowers and their families who have questions about this or other guidance issued by the department should call 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243) (TTY 800-730-8913).

Mahler

It sounds to me this program is for reservists who have been called to active duty becuse of recent events. If anyone finds out if this applies to us, let us know.

James

Paul Burke

Looks like it can apply to us. But the interest would continue to accrue if you aren't already past the 6 month grace period.

pdt1702

From the press release it doesn't really sound like this would apply to us. But it looks like its not very hard to convince these people that it does. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a letter in a few months saying that a mistake has been made. This just sounds too good to be true.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Hi all,

When I graduated from UF this last Dec, I was working in the VA office on campus. I called myself as well as for others to get the defferment status. So far, everyone that I have talked to that has the defferment extended has not had a problem.

Dave

unfUSN

I talked to my loan lender and they didn't know what I was talking about... If anyone else has any luck let me know how you did it.

ENS Payne

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
You can call the federal direct loan (for sub and unsub laons) if it was a provate loan from your school, then I am not sure if this applies. Check at the Federal DDirect loan website I think John has the website listed above. I recently did a loan consolidation at a 4% rate. They didnt have any info on the program, they just wanted to make sure that you were still in your grace period. When I get a chance I'll give you guys the info. I had them contact Gator and another friend and they are a good outfit for loan payback interest rates. I'll post the info later.

Dave

Mcaf

This is for those of you who have a Sallie Mae loan. Before I enlisted back in 1996 I had 1 year of college so I accrued some school loans. I found out that they defer your payment if you are active duty in the military. I got the deferment sheet off of their website and checked off Active Duty. I then had it signed by Admin and sent it off to Sallie Mae. Since my loans were subsidized I did not accrue interest the entire time I was enliseted. Of course now I'm back in college for NROTC and they are defered because I'm a student. On another note, my other loan directly through the school was not defered during this time. So check with your loan provider for details.

wytee44

Like Mcaf, I enlisted in the Navy in 1994 and had student loans to pay off through Sally Mae. I was allowed to defer them for 24 months while on active duty, however you don't accrue any interest. I had to start paying again a couple of years later, but when I went back to school in 2000, they defered it again while I'm in school. I looked into that "total deferment" thing last fall (I'm still on active duty) and I'm pretty sure its for reservists only.

Edited by - wytee44 on 02/22/2002 09:30:18

leonsparx

re: loan cancellation

just completed an exit interview today.

wow, did those numbers add up! anyway it says here, for a perkins loan, that "up to 50% of an outstanding loan principal balance may be cancelled at a rate of 12.5%/yr for each year of qualifying service" in the military, for those receiving 'special pay'.

it then goes on to say that "special pay" is as defined under Title 37, Section 310 of the U.S. Code, which i found here:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/37/310.html

the question: does aviator status qualify as 'special pay'? on a carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.