• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coner

Hello,

I'm somewhat confused. I've read that the Marines guarantee pilot slots but the other services don't. I was under the impression that if you apply for a pilot or NFO slot, in any branch, and if your're selected, you will go to pilot school as long as you make it through officer school? Now what's this hype about Marines guarantee? I thought all branches guaranteed?

Thanks,
Cheers!!

DestinedAviator

Well the main thing from what I know is that with the Navy and Air Force, you can be in ROTC or whatever program and most of the programs don't guarantee you a pilot or NFO slot while in the program, but after u finish the program you can try to compete for a slot. With the Marines, while you're still in the program you can be guaranteed a pilot or NFO slot and know that when you finish the program you're going to flight school for sure. I guess the Marines have less pilots, so they want to try to get more of 'em this way...but I really don't know about that. Hope this helps!

livefast

Coner, I think you misunderstood. What the USMC guarantees that other branches don't is an aviation position while you are in college.

usanavypilot

But you can also do the BDCP for the Navy and be guaranteed a pilot slot if you make it through OCS after you graduate.

jaguar1

hbmortster is right. the AFROTC even selects their pilots at the beginning of their jr. year, so i guess i don't understand all the hype as well. any real insight from anyone?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy ROTC students don't know what warfare specialty (pilot, nfo, surface, subs, spec ops, seals) they're going into until about halfway through their senior year. Marine students can get guaranteed pilot slots earlier. I'm Navy, and I didn't know I was going pilot until a week before my xmas break during senior year.

Granted, this was in 1997, but the program is basically still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.