• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions and smart answers about jet fuel (JP-4, 5, 8, etc)

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Another question. What's the difference between JP-5, -8 -7, etc and Jet-A. I know on XCs you can't always find military grade jet fuel, but it can't be too different than Jet-A, right?

MasterBates

JP-5 is more or less JetA, but with a higher flash point.
JP-8 is JetA with FSII (Fuel System Icing Inhibitor)

Both are more or less really clean Kerosene, although on the Diesel fuel scale of Kero being K-1 or D-1 and Normal Diesel being D-2, JP-5 is closer to K-1.5.

JP-4 is Jet B, which is a lighter turbine fuel more akin to gasoline. Not commonly seen, but there are a couple places up north my dad delivers it to.

JP-7 is some voodoo stuff used by the SR-71, and won't even light off using conventional ignition, and has to used a catalyst (TEB?) to light off.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
It was my understanding (back in my airport line service days) that all aircraft w/ single point capability also are required to have over-wing/gravity as a back up option. So presumably all can be "both". Am I wrong?

Not so much. Think of the big boys in this regard -- Try gravity feeding 340K pounds of JP-8 or Jet-A into a KC-10 or a C-5. Or a 747, for that matter

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
In the same vein, is there some kind of lock up between the probe and drogue on our tankers? Or is the airflow against the basket enough to make a seal between the two?

And i'm an idiot, but i'm assuming its some valves and gravity does the rest in the tanker on the drogue...but this is the stupid questions thread so i don't feel that dumb.

Yes, there is. No, there isn't. That's what the valve is for. Can't remember the name of it, but it's a poppet valve with some teeth in it to keep the probe in place until enough force is applied for them to give up when the receiver disconnects.

Valves, yes. Gravity, no. Don't know about buddy tankers, but the big boys (KC-10, tristar, VC-10, and the ....KC-135) all have AR pumps inside the fuel tanks that send fuel, at ~ 50 PSI, to the hose or iron maiden.

Good questions, though :icon_mi_1

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
JP-5 is more or less JetA, but with a higher flash point.
JP-8 is JetA with FSII (Fuel System Icing Inhibitor)

Both are more or less really clean Kerosene, although on the Diesel fuel scale of Kero being K-1 or D-1 and Normal Diesel being D-2, JP-5 is closer to K-1.5.

JP-4 is Jet B, which is a lighter turbine fuel more akin to gasoline. Not commonly seen, but there are a couple places up north my dad delivers it to.

JP-7 is some voodoo stuff used by the SR-71, and won't even light off using conventional ignition, and has to used a catalyst (TEB?) to light off.

Is that not just prist?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Is that not just prist?

Sorta, they do the same thing. The only restriction I can remember on Prist is that it can only be used if pre-mixed in the fuel, which makes is basically the same as FSII. If it's in the spray cans it can't be used.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorta, they do the same thing. The only restriction I can remember on Prist is that it can only be used if pre-mixed in the fuel, which makes is basically the same as FSII. If it's in the spray cans it can't be used.

Unfortunately, not all the linemen even understand the distinction between "pre-mixed" and any other means of putting it in. Generally, since it's attached to the nozzle at the fuel truck, I know it's pre-mixed, but I would always ask in the T-34, and I'd say better than 50% of the time, the answer would be "no, it's not pre-mixed." So, I'd say no thanks (and shake my head in my inner monologue).

HuggyU2

None
Another question. What's the difference between JP-5, -8 -7, etc and Jet-A. I know on XCs you can't always find military grade jet fuel, but it can't be too different than Jet-A, right?
There is also JPTS, which is a fuel used only by the U-2. As I understand it, it is basically JP-4 with an additive that gives it a lower freezing point, and will prevent the fuel from getting slushy at the low temps it will be exposed to for hours.

MasterBates

You guys too good for a JP number for that Huggy?

What I thought that was interesting in "fuel history" is that the USAF used JP-4/Jet B long after it had stopped being the primary commercial fuel.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
What I thought that was interesting in "fuel history" is that the USAF used JP-4/Jet B long after it had stopped being the primary commercial fuel.

The H-2 had an adjustment on a miscellaneous fuel control device in case we were stranded at some out of the way USAF facility and had to fill her up with JP-4.

MasterBates

When I was flying civilian Bells, they would pretty much run on anything you dumped in it. Can't recall any adjustments we had to do other than watch EGT.

If I remember, I saw higher TIT on JetB than JetA for similar torque.

exhelodrvr

pilot
The H-2 had an adjustment on a miscellaneous fuel control device in case we were stranded at some out of the way USAF facility and had to fill her up with JP-4.

We could make adjustments on the H-3, too. But then they tended to hot start, because of the JP-5 in the lines. And if there was JP-4 in the lines, and the fuel control was set for JP-5, they would tend to hang up on starts.

Thanks, USAF!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not that it matters, but we used JP-4 when shore based and JP-5 aboard ship, pretty much all the time as I recall ....

We would sometimes have to manually switch the fuel controller from -5 to -4 or vice versa when refueling at an AF base on a XC or on a Det.

phrogpilot73

There's an adjustment on the fuel control and fuel flow divider on the Phrog for selecting JP-4/5. You can fly without adjusting it if it's a small number of times (number escapes me off the top of my head, but it's something like 3 refuelings).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that it matters, but we used JP-4 when shore based and JP-5 aboard ship, pretty much all the time as I recall ....

These days, it's JP-5 ashore

Friendly Fuel Truck at Oceana on Wednesday (before the rains came)

JP-5.jpg

HJ Photo