• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynhi

I know the guys with full ride scholarships get CORTRAMID after freshmen year, but what about the guys that receive a 3 1/2 yr. scholarship? Are they allowed to go on the cruise also or are they treated like the 3 yr. and have to wait till summer after sophomore year?

snizo

Supply Officer
if you are actually on scholarship at the time you would be going on cruise, you should be able to go. if you picked up a scholarship during spring semester of your first year to begin in the fall of your second year, you will not go to cortramid

flynhi

Thanks snizo! I'd really love to make that cruise this summer. I don't know when the 3 1/2 yr's are issued, but hope it's soon and that I'm one of them.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
flynhi said:
I know the guys with full ride scholarships get CORTRAMID after freshmen year, but what about the guys that receive a 3 1/2 yr. scholarship? Are they allowed to go on the cruise also or are they treated like the 3 yr. and have to wait till summer after sophomore year?

When you pick up scholarship after 3.5 years, you dont get a cruise until after sophomore year. A good friend of mine got the PNS scholarship after first semester of our freshman year but didn't get to go on CORTRAMID. Look forward to your 2/c cruise though!

flynhi

NozeMan said:
When you pick up scholarship after 3.5 years, you dont get a cruise until after sophomore year. A good friend of mine got the PNS scholarship after first semester of our freshman year but didn't get to go on CORTRAMID. Look forward to your 2/c cruise though!

What's the PNS scholarship all about and how do you get it?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
flynhi said:
What's the PNS scholarship all about and how do you get it?

PNS Scholarship= Professor of Naval Science Scholarship

This means that the CO of the unit gets to pick someone that isn't already on scholarship to get one. I'm not sure if only 4/c or 3/c can get it, but I know it exists. My buddy who got it lead our class in grades and was pretty high in aptitude as well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you do want to go to CORTRAMID, I heard that you can substitute it for your 2/c cruise if you pick up scholarship after spring term of you freshman year. I could be wrong about this, but I know our XO was encouraging some of us in that boat to choose CORTRAMID instead of the "enlisted cruise".

Also, where do people typically go for a 2/c surface cruise on the west coast?

litreofcola

flynhi,

I was a recipient of a 3 year scholarship a few years ago and I found out about it in April of my freshman year (2 months before cortramid east) and I talked to the cruise LT at my unit and he tried to get me a spot at cortramid which he was succesfully able to do. However, my physical had not been approved by DODMERB so I was unable to go to cortramid.

MY ADVICE: if you want to go on cortramid then you should get a DODMERB physical as soon as you get back to school, so that you can be physically qualified in order to be able to go on cruise.
DODMERB is a painful experience for most people, it took me two visits to an army base 45 minutes away from my unit to get the physical completed and then it has to be sent to colorado so some dude can look at it and put a blue stamp on it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
MIDNJAC said:
If you do want to go to CORTRAMID, I heard that you can substitute it for your 2/c cruise if you pick up scholarship after spring term of you freshman year. I could be wrong about this, but I know our XO was encouraging some of us in that boat to choose CORTRAMID instead of the "enlisted cruise".

Also, where do people typically go for a 2/c surface cruise on the west coast?

You can in fact substitute CORTRAMID for your 2/c cruise if you didn't have a 3/c cruise. However, there was some difficulty in that last year with my unit. A lot of sophomores had CORTRAMID lined up, but had to switch to 2/c surface cruises last minute. As far as where people can go on a 2/c cruise....ANYWHERE. I met up with my buddy who was on an LPD in Hawaii ( I was on a sub). I also had a bunch of friends on a carrier up and down the west coast and Canada. A few were even lucky enough to ride it out to Okinawa. The sky is the limit, and luck has a LOT to do with it!

flynhi

I jut found out that the PNS scholarship mids can go on CORTRAMID, but I think a request has to be put in and then approved first. I don't know if I'll qualify for that scholarship but I hope I qualify for something. My gpa was a 3.6 (history major) with A's in Naval Science. Not taking Calc this year though could shoot me down for one. Guess there's always next year. Just really wanted to go on the cruise this summer.

RABB

snizo said:
if you are actually on scholarship at the time you would be going on cruise, you should be able to go. if you picked up a scholarship during spring semester of your first year to begin in the fall of your second year, you will not go to cortramid
I didn't think you could hear about a scholarship until the spring. Do some receive it sooner? I'd like to go on the cruise also but if scholarships aren't issued until the spring it looks doubtful.

snizo

Supply Officer
Rabb - Yea I didn't think they did selection boards that early, but who knows these days.

Nozeman - if you are on scholarship at the time of the cruise, you can go on the cruise. If you start on scholarship for the Spring semester, you should have no problem getting to CORTRAMID. If you pick the scholarship up in the Spring to start in the Fall, you are not a "scholarship student" at the time of the cruise and therefore do not go on cruise. A large factor in that is probably being able to have Intro to NS under your belt so you have some idea of what you are doing when you get to the cruise...

I was on a 3.5 yr PNS scholarship, but my scholarship started in a Fall semester. When it came time for my first cruise, I was offered CORTRAMID or a regular 2/c cruise, but I was strongly encouraged to go on the 2/c cruise. Unless you have absolutely no idea what you want to do with the Navy, go on the 2/c cruise and not CORTRAMID.

Your 2/c cruise will give you the opportunity (more so than other cruises) to talk to the enlisted sailors (and get them to actually talk to you honeslty) and get an understanding of what their lives are like. These are the people you are supposed to lead as an officer, so it would help you out a great deal to be able to show up as an Ensign understanding the people under you. CORTRAMID is not designed for this, so if you skip your 2/c cruise you will miss out on some valuable training.

RABB

Starting the spring semester with the scholarship would be sweet. Of course, I'll take it either way. It would be nice to have that extra cruise though.

Status
Not open for further replies.