• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Officer Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotcorenlist

I was talking to a friend of mine in the Marine Reserves and he mentioned the Summer Officer Program. I'm not sure if that was the exact name, but it's where you can go to OCS and then promise to finish your degree. I couldn't get exact details from him, can someone please explain the program?

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
He's talking about the Platoon Leaders Course (PLC) If you are a freshman or sophmore in college you go to OCS for 6 weeks, then the summer b4 your senior year you go back to OCS for another 6 weeks. PLC Jrs, PLC Srs respectivly. OR if you are a Junior in college you go to PLC Combined (PLC-C) and do 1 10 week session straight. If you are a college Senior or Graduate you go to OCC (Officer Candidate Course) which is the 10 week course as well. OCC is done periodically throughout the Year, usually done in Jan. July, October and one other time, im not sure. check the OCS website at www.ocs.usmc.mil and check class scheduals. the PLC program is ONLY done during the summer and does not interfere with school at all. Once you finish PLC you are NOT obligated to accepting your commission. But IMO what is the point of going through that and not taking it.

rotcorenlist

Do you commission after taking the PLC in your freshman and sophmore year? he said that he's a 1st Lieut. and still in college. I thought that you had to have a college degree before you can commission. Do you have to attend PLC once or twice?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
You can't be commissioned without at least a bachelor's degree. He couldn't be a 1stLt (or 2ndLt for that matter) and still be in college, unless he's currently in law school. If you enter the PLC program as a college freshman or sophomore you will attend two 6-week sessions of OCS. If you are a junior you will attend only one 10-week session of OCS. When you complete OCS you return to college, and get commissioned once you graduate.

jayjiggums

Only way you can get a commission with out a Bachelors degree is if he was prior enlisted and got nominated for MCP, Meritorious Commissioning Program, and he'd need at least an Associates or 75 units to be eligible. He'd also have to be one bad moefoe.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
I met a 2Lt. in the Army and get this he was only 20. I asked for ID and he showed me. Surely enough it said O-1 on it. He said all you need is an Associates and promise to get a bachelor's later. Who came up with this grand idea to hand out commissions? And to top it off he was an infantry officer.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
ColdSteel said:
I met a 2Lt. in the Army and get this he was only 20. I asked for ID and he showed me. Surely enough it said O-1 on it. He said all you need is an Associates and promise to get a bachelor's later. Who came up with this grand idea to hand out commissions? And to top it off he was an infantry officer.
true story. over in the army they are handing out Commissions like condoms at Planned Parent Hood

Killer2

TRONS!
None
This is a bad idea.

We had a reserve Lt. from Ft. Hood come to try and switch his commission over to Marine. He was going to go PLC-C and about have way through training he said keep it. Sad part is one day he will be activated and sent to lead soldiers over in the sandbox. Thanks for wanting to join the armed forces but know what your getting into. That's how people get killed. :icon_rage

rotcorenlist

I see, maybe I misunderstood him. The PLC still seems like a great program to me. If you do PLC in your freshman year are you enlisting into the Reserves, or is it no obligation?

T-man

rotcorenlist said:
I see, maybe I misunderstood him. The PLC still seems like a great program to me. If you do PLC in your freshman year are you enlisting into the Reserves, or is it no obligation?

My understanding is that as long as you don't take any financial aid, there is no obligation until you commission. But I don't know 100% for sure as I am going OCC.

Crowbar

None
rotcorenlist said:
If you do PLC in your freshman year are you enlisting into the Reserves, or is it no obligation?

No, PLC is a commissioning program, wholly separate from enlisting in the reserves. Some people enlist in the reserves to try to help their chances of getting into PLC, and some people get rooked into enlisting in the reserves by less than honest recruiters.
Enlisting in the reserves and doing PLC are not mutually exclusive, nor is one dependent on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.