• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Tucano's destined for Afghanistan to be built in Jacksonville, Florida...

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
It was a shame to see Cecil closed in 99'....that airfield has so much potential. I really thought they would build those A/C there and not at JIA due to flightline space and airspace congestion...

Marco

From my understanding, talking to some folks I
know at Cecil, there is no available hangar space at Cecil. It's all currently leased.
Besides, JIA is expanding. They're clearing land for more ramp space and an additional runway. If they're moving into the hangar that I think they are, it's by the FedEx ramp and there is no shortage of space. There's currently an AA MD-11 on that ramp undergoing an engine change and plenty of room for the DC-10's to taxi in/out. Plus, on the other end of the field there is the FBO's plus AvMax, who does Dash-8 maintenance. As far as congestion goes, not an issue
IMO. The airport just ain't that busy. :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
20 aircraft? That's a decent start. We should procure about 200, evenly divided between the USMC and the AF SOC. If the AF doesn't want their 100, let the Army take over the CAS role.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My last job was with a company out at Cecil. Believe it or not, there's not much room left for airplanes there. All the existing hangar space is occupied, by a mix of private concerns, Customs P-3's, CG HITRON and some NG/ANG cats and dogs. JAX, by contrast, has a lot of room to grow and better infrastructure.

The city and Duval County seemed to be pushing Cecil less for strictly aviation business and more 'intermodal', as it has better proximity to I-10 and the railroads.

Embraer seems to like NE FL; they're building bizjets down in Melbourne as well.