• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supplemental Flight Training

CalPolyPilot

The last post I left recieved awesome feedback and I hoping to get the same on this one. So, I am on the verge of getting my private pilot (I have about 10 hrs left). My question is: should I pursue my instrument rating in the civilian sector or wait and get the rating when I go through flight school and save the extra 3500 bucks? The only problem is I wont be going to flight school for 2 and a half years and thats a long time to be a pilot and be restricted by weather and airspace restrictions.

HuggyU2

None
Depends on your goal. Are you going to moonlight while doing CFI/freight/commercial/whatever work? Do you have the $$$ to spend easily? Or is it a stretch?
Definitely get some instrument training. But how about using some of the $$$ for aerobatic training. Go down to Santa Paula for spin and unusual attitude training. Or up to Salinas/King City for aerobatics with Sean Tucker's school.
Whatever you do, have a goal,... and have fun with it. If you're not enjoying the flying and the training, reconsider what you're doing.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
The last post I left recieved awesome feedback and I hoping to get the same on this one. So, I am on the verge of getting my private pilot (I have about 10 hrs left). My question is: should I pursue my instrument rating in the civilian sector or wait and get the rating when I go through flight school and save the extra 3500 bucks? The only problem is I wont be going to flight school for 2 and a half years and thats a long time to be a pilot and be restricted by weather and airspace restrictions.

I got my private pilots license back in 2002, right when I enlisted in the navy. I got stationed overseas for 3 years so that really put a damper on me getting more ratings. It worked out fine for me, I'm still just a private pilot and over the past 5 years have just tried to keep up with my currency the best I could. Now, I'm heading to OCS on March 1st and then straight to API after that for SNA. If you can afford it and you have the time, definitely go for it. But, if your tight with the funds or super busy with school, don't worry about it. Even with just a private pilot license you are still going into flight training with a little edge on everyone. Good luck man.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't think you need to have your instrument ticket just to do good in primary/etc. Yes, it will help, but it's not required. Chances are, you'll have to relearn some stuff the Navy way compared to the civilian way.

That said, if you've got the dough and want to, I say go for it. It sounds to me like you're wanting to do some pretty regular flying and the instrument rating will definitely open up your options.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The IFR rating will make you a better pilot......which logically will get you better grades.....which will give you a chance to be in the 42%.....

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
The IFR rating will make you a better pilot......which logically will get you better grades.....which will give you a chance to be in the 42%.....

An IFR rating will give you much better SA when you're doing BIs and RIs in primary. It will also improve your scan and flying skills. Even if you don't stay current, it'll come back to you once you start primary. Score well in the early stages of primary and it pays off big time. You'll have learn procedures the Navy way, but thats an easy transition.

Huggy is right about the aerobatic training, thats a lot of fun too. It'll really help with your smoothness and stick and rudder skills. Which should help your basic air work. Grades wise it doesn't help out much in primary precision aerobatics because the IPs will give you a good grade on one manuever, usually a roll, and everyone gets a 5 on that one. But do it because its fun.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

An IFR rating may make you a better pilot (I have anecdotal evidence to the contrary), but that doesn't mean you'll be a better Primary student.

Depends on your goal. Are you going to moonlight while doing CFI/freight/commercial/whatever work? Do you have the $$$ to spend easily? Or is it a stretch?
Definitely get some instrument training. But how about using some of the $$$ for aerobatic training. Go down to Santa Paula for spin and unusual attitude training. Or up to Salinas/King City for aerobatics with Sean Tucker's school.

This is all moot. Do the above because you want to and/or can afford it, but don't do it because it's all stuff that is done in Primary. It's going to be different. Not necessarily harder, just different.

CalPoly:

If you want to move on to the instrument thing, do it because it interests you. There's a TON of posts on here about civilian ratings, so do a search, but if you're only going to end up w/ a handful of hours by the time you're done w/ the instrument rating, that alone won't "help" in flight school. It might not hurt, but it shouldn't be the sole reason to do it.