• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SuppO or NFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirPookie

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to get personal experience/opinions on going supply corps officer vs. NFO. I take the OAR/ASTB next week so it obviously depends how I score on that and what my options will be, but I have been studying like crazy recently, and feel pretty confident going into the test. My recruiter has made it very clear that if I do decent on the test, I would be very competitive and would likely have my top choice.

I feel like I have a better understanding of the day-to-day of a Naval Flight Officer, and have determined that if I go this route, P8s would be my top choice. I have done some research on where you would be stationed, flight school, quality of life, and feel like this sounds like a pretty good gig!

However, I would like to make the best choice I can knowing as much as I can about both. I've done some research on SuppO as well, but it seems like this job can vary quite a bit more than an NFO. Where are SuppOs most likely to get stationed after MOS school? What does a normal day look like for sea and shore duty, what does the schedule/related duties look like? How much time is actually spent out at sea? Do you have any say in picking your first duty station after MOS school? What is the quality of life like compared to other officer jobs? What does the normal day-to-day look like?

I personally lean toward NFO for the quality of life, feeling more fulfilled by that work, and the amazing opportunities that you would not get elsewhere, but I could see myself also being happy with a career as a supply corps officer.

snake020

Contributor
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to get personal experience/opinions on going supply corps officer vs. NFO. I take the OAR/ASTB next week so it obviously depends how I score on that and what my options will be, but I have been studying like crazy recently, and feel pretty confident going into the test. My recruiter has made it very clear that if I do decent on the test, I would be very competitive and would likely have my top choice.

I feel like I have a better understanding of the day-to-day of a Naval Flight Officer, and have determined that if I go this route, P8s would be my top choice. I have done some research on where you would be stationed, flight school, quality of life, and feel like this sounds like a pretty good gig!

However, I would like to make the best choice I can knowing as much as I can about both. I've done some research on SuppO as well, but it seems like this job can vary quite a bit more than an NFO. Where are SuppOs most likely to get stationed after MOS school? What does a normal day look like for sea and shore duty, what does the schedule/related duties look like? How much time is actually spent out at sea? Do you have any say in picking your first duty station after MOS school? What is the quality of life like compared to other officer jobs? What does the normal day-to-day look like?

I personally lean toward NFO for the quality of life, feeling more fulfilled by that work, and the amazing opportunities that you would not get elsewhere, but I could see myself also being happy with a career as a supply corps officer.

The experiences are very different. If you want to focus on logistics and business support, go SUPPO. If you want to be an operations focused officer, go NFO. You will go out to sea or shore operational with both, and quality of life will vary. After supply school, you will go to a ship or sub or operational unit such as the Seabees, with shore tour first assignments only typical for a temporary hardship accommodation. Regardless, if you want to make O-4, you can expect to do at least two operational tours.

I was involuntarily in Supply for several years after I medically attrited from aviation and hated it. Redesignating to IWC made my Navy life a lot better for what I wanted my involvement to be.

Unknown1

The experiences are very different. If you want to focus on logistics and business support, go SUPPO. If you want to be an operations focused officer, go NFO. You will go out to sea or shore operational with both, and quality of life will vary. After supply school, you will go to a ship or sub or operational unit such as the Seabees, with shore tour first assignments only typical for a temporary hardship accommodation. Regardless, if you want to make O-4, you can expect to do at least two operational tours.

I was involuntarily in Supply for several years after I medically attrited from aviation and hated it. Redesignating to IWC made my Navy life a lot better for what I wanted my involvement to be.
If I may ask , why involuntary ? I assume if you medically attrite after ocs they will re-designate you instead of separating you or was it something else ?

AirPookie

I understand these are two very different career choices. And honestly, up until I became interested in the Navy, I didn't really have interest in aviation. After doing tons and tons of research on it, it seems like a great opportunity, but I also understand that there isn't really anything that translates to NFO on the civilian side, while there are tons of opportunities in supply.

Can I ask why you had such a bad experience with supply? I have heard it is a better quality of life than some other officer jobs (SWO but that's not saying much), its a good community for the most part, and that it translates well to civilian. Did you not enjoy the work itself in supply or was it another reason? Just genuinely curious, I would like to know all the good and bad before potentially getting myself into something!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s already a lot of info about both communities on the forum, both gaining into them and the career paths. Keep searching around and especially the stickied threads. Lots of wisdom here.

That said, while I imagine there might be one out there somewhere - as the great natural philosopher Hagrid said, “yeh get weirdos in every breed” - you’re not going to find NFOs wishing they were Chops. It’s a thankless job, you only get noticed when you screw up, and the “it prepares you for a job outside” argument is vastly overstated.

Welcome aboard, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.