• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

swimming at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeprent

I don't know if it is a dumb question, but I really don't care because I don't know the answer. During the swimming portion of OCS, can you have swimming goggles and a nose piece, or do you have to be straight gansta with it by not using anything of the sort?

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Thisguy said:
Straight up gansta. Nothing but those snazzy navy issued PT shorts.

Ohh....don't us women get to wear our black one piece suits we bring? (Although it would be rather interesting if we wore just those navy issued PT shorts also......).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
EngineGirl said:
Ohh....don't us women get to wear our black one piece suits we bring? (Although it would be rather interesting if we wore just those navy issued PT shorts also......).

Yes. What was funny was that we were made to wear our T-shirts when coming out of the locker room because there were females present, then of course, we took off our shirts when it was time to swim. Go figure.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thisguy said:
Yes. What was funny was that we were made to wear our T-shirts when coming out of the locker room because there were females present, then of course, we took of our shirts when it was time to swim. Go figure.

That's kinda silly. Hmmm. If I ever make it to OCS, and considering that I am blind as a bat, I wonder if I will be allowed to wear my contacts and goggles so I don't run into the sides of the pool or someone else. That would sure make the DI's day. :eek:

koolkatsalley

Yes, I do much better at swimming when I am able to wear my contacts with goggles than just strait up gangsta style.

Does anyone have any extra web-sites or info regarding swimming requirements, etc...

ip568

None
Kidding, right?

I hope you're all kidding. When I went through you had to swim one mile in full flight gear and uninflated LPA. Goggles? Swim shorts? I hope the requirements haven't fallen that far.

koolkatsalley

My info shows just being able to swim 50ft, prone float for 5 mins, and abandon ship jump. I think the other stuff comes later in the schooling. I have been working on swimming and prone float without my goggles, glasses, contacts. I found it is much better to close my eyes, although this has started throwing me off; I am used to swimming with contacts and goggles and being able to see underwater. What happens if you end up in the other lane???

Knightsgk01

Sub Nuke in Training
At OCS, in order to graduate, everyone has to pass the 3rd class swim test which includes swimming 50 yards with your head in the water, the abandon ship jump, floating for 5 minutes and the ability to inflate a shirt and pants and use them to float. This is done about your 5th week of training. Those of you who are designated for pilot and NFO will go thru extra swim sessions after you pass the 3rd class swim test to prepare you for API. As far as goggles and nose pieces go, those are a big no. You aren't going to have those readily available at sea and therefore you will not be able to use them at OCS.

Chopteam6

If I recall correctly, when I went through OCS (class 1099) we had swim on the schedule 3 times a week from week 2 through week 4 or 5. Swimming was a blessing because it was the few places our DI did not hang out. After we went to the pool the first time it was up to the class section leader for that day to get us there on time....a class marching down the grinder with no DI is a target for abuse by all the other DIs. I remember we took the left turn off the road that the battalion/galley was on directly across from the regiment building...the Masterguns was always watching from his office window and would Fck with us, after a while it became amusing.

You will not be wearing your contacts at OCS, the Candios will probably confenscate them when you check in. You do get a nice pair of BCGs for free. No goggles or nose plugs for the swim either...learn to suck it up.

lthackston

sirenia said:
That's kinda silly. Hmmm. If I ever make it to OCS, and considering that I am blind as a bat, I wonder if I will be allowed to wear my contacts and goggles so I don't run into the sides of the pool or someone else. That would sure make the DI's day. :eek:

Yeah, sorry but you're going to be running into the walls of the pool. Even if you can't see, no goggles or contacts. Nothing says you have to swim fast so go nice and slow and don't hit any walls because they'll yell at you for touching the walls which I never understood because it's not like the walls are helping you float unless you hold onto the top of the wall. Ah well. But, while you're getting your Class III, there generally aren't DIs around. That's the good news.

lthackston

ip568 said:
I hope you're all kidding. When I went through you had to swim one mile in full flight gear and uninflated LPA. Goggles? Swim shorts? I hope the requirements haven't fallen that far.

Well, that sounds a lot like either AOCS which of course is gone, or exactly like the swim you do in the third week of API. Definitely not an OCS thing as there are plenty of non-aviation types in the class with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.