• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO/IP Designator

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I have never heard of this SWO/IP before. I am very interested in learning more about it. Due to my age, I can only apply for INTEL since Supply is now cut off at 29 (I wanted SWO and NFO too). However, I am really interested in SWO/IP because it looks like the age restrictions are the same as INTEL and you will be URL.

Where can I can I find out more info on this? I could not find SWO/IP on the CNRC General Officer page.

I am getting ready to submit my package for July boards (finally!!). Anyone else have experience with this and talk about this designator some more?

Thanks.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I want to say that the user m0tbaillie is in BDCP for SWO/IP. I'm not 100% on that, but you can PM him and see. He probably has a good idea about it if he selected it.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Yes, I think I saw it somewhere (NAV something) as a 16xx designator but not too sure.

Thanks for the tip, I will PM m0tbaillie and pick his brain.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yes, I think I saw it somewhere (NAV something) as a 16xx designator but not too sure.

My mom just retired as an IP. She was actually a plank owner in the designator. She was working with the Air Force on Sattelite Acquisitions (sp?) when she retired...(she is doing the same job as a GS-15 now)

She spent a lot of time in the Pentagon and Crystal City. I guess as an IP you will get to know the Metro very well.

She was the XO/CO of NAVCOMSTA Stockton before the DC work and was doing some secret squirrel shit for the CNO somewhere in there as well. It seems like a cool job, all of her coworkers were nice white collar type guys/gals...most of it was over my head.

Have Fun!

joshmf

Just be aware that you will be a SWO for about two years, and need to earn your Surface Warfare pin before you can move into the IP field. I remember a few people in OCS who had been picked up for SWO/IP that didn't really understand what the "SWO" part of that entailed.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Just be aware that you will be a SWO for about two years, and need to earn your Surface Warfare pin before you can move into the IP field. I remember a few people in OCS who had been picked up for SWO/IP that didn't really understand what the "SWO" part of that entailed.
That's sounds like exactly what I'm looking for I think. It sounds like Intel but you're URL. Kind of like a combo Intel-ish with SWO stuff right? That would be sweet. At my age, my options are very limited. I only qualify for Intel and PA designators. But it looks like the SWO/IP is the same age bracket. Why isn't SWO/IP listed on the CNRC site?

phrogpilot73

That's sounds like exactly what I'm looking for I think. It sounds like Intel but you're URL. Kind of like a combo Intel-ish with SWO stuff right? That would be sweet. At my age, my options are very limited. I only qualify for Intel and PA designators. But it looks like the SWO/IP is the same age bracket. Why isn't SWO/IP listed on the CNRC site?
IP has nothing to do with intel. You will be a SWO first (with all the suck that it entails), followed by IP. IP=computer geek (Information Professional). After being a SWO, you will transition to IP. Probably alot of stuff about making sure NMCI doesn't suck as bad as it does... The intel community laughs at the IP world. Or so I hear. I'm a rock-star pilot, so I can only go on what I hear.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Check your PMs.

By the way, it's okay if Intel laughs at IP. Intel has absolutely nothing to do with IP.

I talked to two O-6s (and interviewed with one) when I applied for BDCP. One was in Intel, one was in IP.

Intel collects, analyzes, interprets, and present data/imagery.

IP is, as mentioned, the computer geekery side of the field. There are various specialty fields but neither IP nor Intel really have much relation to one another, from what I understand.

Why isn't SWO/IP listed on the CNRC site?

That site is not really well-maintained. There are a couple of other programs here and there that exist that very few people know about because a lot of the resources online aren't updated/reflect different information. You really have to a) do a lot of Googling and/or b) find sites like this one (or USNavyOCS.com) to dig for information and rack others' brains.