• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO or not to SWO

Okay, all I've heard from my recruiter is that going SWO is so much fun and a great trip...it's like a management-type position, but you're constantly changing "who" you manage. He said his graduating class all went SWO and they all LOVE it. He wishes he had, but got pulled into recruiting. If this all sounds really naive, it's because I don't have much of an idea as to what is what in the Navy. I want to be an Officer, but don't feel that I have many options as my ASTB hasn't gotten over a 45. I have one shot left, and am so frustrated that this stupid score could keep me from being accepted.

Yah, I know, obvious answer is probably, well, hello, maybe you should research some other positions and figure out what the hell everyone does. I realize that, but again, feel I'm limited by my score. I was really interested in doing the Cryptology thing, learning a new language and going toward Intel, but then caught interest with SWO, because maybe that's all I'm "good enough" for based on my score? I'm trying to get more study tips, guides, books, whatever to raise that number up to be considered more "competitive." Back to my point, I've heard great things about SWO; is that just because it's coming from a recruiter? He seemed to be a pretty straight-shooter (probably in the script), but then I see posts on here all but outright laughing at SWOs and I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it. Is it becasuse it's like an "office job?" Is it not respected? What exactly is it? What do they do? I got the pamphlet and all, but on that same note, they make supply core look exciting.

Venting aside, I'm just looking for some advice. For someone who is really willing and ready to start a career in the Navy, what are the best ways to start out? I'm putting my life in your hands, guys : )

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
SWO, much like aviation, is what you put into it. If you step aboard your first ship with the "I'm gonna be the best damned SWO I can be" and actually strive for it (minus the backstabbing, eating of the young and peer bilging), thats what's gonna happen.

Conversely, if you step into your first squadron with a "meh, whatever" mentality, regardless of how cool and chill everyone else is, you're gonna suck.

And vice-versa. Its what you put into it.

As much as I hate to endorse anything SWO, check out www.sailorbob.com Its a great website to get the gouge on what being a SWO is about... I got alot of good info from there when I thought I was going to be a SWO...

Sabre170

None
I will say that I am SOOOO glad my recruiter talked me out of it. I am having a blast so far in the NFO pipeline that I can't remember why I wanted to be a SWO.

snizo

Supply Officer
Limited by your score? Only for aviation - if that. The ASTB won't influence your selection for intel/crypto/swo/etc.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
From what I understand there are lots of NFO billets open right now so think about that route. Last ROTC service selection they didn't have enough SWO spots to go around so they were pushing folks towards NFO.

SWO has its ups and downs but having served in both communities on the E-side I would say DO NOT go SWO if you have a Type-B personality.

Wow, thank you everyone for your advice. This really helps a lot. I was actually really interested in the NFO position, but my recruiter said my OAR score had to be in the high 50s, around 57-59 I think (to be considered competitive). I'm aiming to do the best I can when I try again--and hopefully score high enough for that. He just mentioned SWO after my score came up low, and made it sound cool, so I thought I would try to get some more info on it.

I tried SailorBob out too, but couldn't read anything until I registered. I'll have to go back tomorrow.

What's life like as an NFO? I've heard that you have a lot of free time in the aviation field; is that a bad thing or a good thing? Point being, I like to stay busy and have a routine that keeps me working. I think I'm more toward the Type-A personality, but probably right down the middle. Is it hard to switch over if I started out SWO and then wanted to try something different?

Thanks for all of your help!

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
What's life like as an NFO? I've heard that you have a lot of free time in the aviation field; is that a bad thing or a good thing? Point being, I like to stay busy and have a routine that keeps me working.

Truck driver is a pretty busy occupation.

top-gun04.jpg

"Maybe I could be a truck driver. You got the number of that truck-driving school?"

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Navyhopeful...welcome to the board. I'm your friendly later transfer (I used to be a SWO and now I'm an NFO).

The correct answer to "SWO or not to SWO?" is always "Not to."

My score on my initial ASTB was just a point or two low to be an NFO, but my recruiter tried talking me into SWO, saying I'd just need a waiver. Being naive, I said no thanks, I just want to be a SWO and drive ships, and hooya!

About a month into my first tour, I was crying myself to sleep and talking to every pilot I could about how to get into aviation. Yeah, it's mostly true about the whole "It's what you make of it" and "positive attitude" things, but me and SWO just did not click. I know some people who love it, but it wasn't for me. If you want more specific details, PM me and we can talk offline.

And now two more points....

1. Unless your recruiter is not physically qualified, he did not go straight from school to recruiting. I don't want to dime the guy out, but something just sounds fishy from what you said in your first paragraph.

2. I once heard a guest speaker at a winging make this point. He displayed a flight suit (he is an NFO) and a set of blue coveralls (standard issue ship's company gear). He said, "When my wife sees in my flight suit, she says she just wants to unzip and crawl in there with me. When she sees me in the coveralls, she just wants to ask me to take out the garbage."

If you don't want to PM me and ask details, just keep this in mind...you can always go to Barnes and Noble or your library and pick up a copy of Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests study guide. I had to take the ASTB again for my later transfer package and studying with that really helped me out.

BackOrdered

Contributor
1. Unless your recruiter is not physically qualified, he did not go straight from school to recruiting. I don't want to dime the guy out, but something just sounds fishy from what you said in your first paragraph.

Wait, are you saying his recruiter maybe a former SWO? LOL!

Anyway, I agree somewhat. I had the same attitude about being a SWO at first when I was selecting a community. I was all hyped up, had a big mourning bowl of "Hoorah!" flakes, and a "just wants to serve" outlook (JROTC will do that to you). In fact, SWO was once my top choice. After talking to people who loved being SWOs, my dad who was a FFC, and finally talking to people who hated being SWOs, I came to the conclusion that SWO wasn't for me. Not because of the horror stories of SWOs "eating their own", but because I did some research and figure I'd enjoy Supply more.

There's a big difference between what you want to do and what you would like to do. That's not to say don't take Road Program's advice to heart (he was there), I say look into SWO in and out as well as the other communities and form your own opinion of what you'd enjoy doing. If you find out you still want to be a SWO, go for it!