• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34C vs T-6A/B

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why is the no beta such a big issue with Texan? If the brakes shit the bed, it'd be handy, but other than that, is it really necessary, or just nice to have?

This isn't sarcasm, just asking, btw.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Why is the no beta such a big issue with Texan? If the brakes shit the bed, it'd be handy, but other than that, is it really necessary, or just nice to have?

This isn't sarcasm, just asking, btw.

Beta is nice to have. That negative blade angle slows ya down in such a short distance. I just don't know of any modern prop that doesn't have it.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
bert beat me to it. I don't know about the -B, though. With all the gee whiz stuff in it, maybe they found room for a tacan, too.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I wonder if the Navy will ever learn from the AF. The Navy's COD fleet is poor and yet they can't come up with a replacement. They claim it's a "requirement" but I guess at but a mere 35 or so aircraft, doesn't warrant a replacement. Not my problem anymore.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even down here in little ole Pensacola, there is the debate, T-34C vs T-6B. There is a group of IP's so against a new aircraft and some are vocal. Of course they have nothing to back up what they say while the T-6 team has numbers, created by the source of course.

The selection of the T-6 was the result of a very open and real competition, I think the V-22 was realistically the only one in the running IIRC. The Texan people have that to fall back on.

Anyone know about the C-27 Spartan? Not sure about that program either, what advantages it has over a C-130?

From everything I have read about the program it is to supplement the C-130 for the USAF and replace the Sherpas and supplement the CH-47 for the Army. With the utilization rate of the aging USAF C-130's and the Army CH-47's at very high levels they want something to take the load of both fleets for intra-theater transport and other missions. The short range hops that it would take over for resupplying forces in Afghanistan and Iraq would ease the burden on both fleets it would supplement and ensuring that high-pri supplies are delivered smoothly.

While most supplies are still transported by ground for both countries many high-pri supplies like arms are transported by air due to security concerns. They want to save the C-130's for inter-theater transport and the Chinooks for Army specific support missions, like troop transport. And just get rid of the Sherpa, they are not only worn out but are just plain ugly!

More on the program:

Joint Cargo Aircraft

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So what you are saying is the Army bought the Spartan for airfield beautification :) The has always been the real reason the carrier always wanted the COD off the deck, it was too damn ugly.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Shouldn't we merge this with the "holdout IP's insist T-34 is better than the T-6" thread?"