• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-38 vs T1 For Air Force?!?! How to choose?!?!

toper540

:icon_smil Hey,

Just curious. I have the grades (right now) to track T-38's out of pensacola (in about 2 months) but I can't decide on which track I want. Anybody have any advice for someone who is a little confused on what he wants?

Im trying to figure out what training would be like in 38's at Vance vs T1's as well as the quality family life/deployment schedules/and other Education Opportunities would be open to me if I selected one track or another.

Any advice?
Thanks ,
Toper

toper540

In the long term I am basing my choice on future A/C and not just at Vance. Thats why was asking about education and family life down the road...

What influenced your choice for Hornets over NAVY heavy? That is more my concern right now as to which area I want to go HEAVY vs FIGHTER?

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
Toper,

I think Baseops.net is a better bet for finding answers on this question. They have all kinds of info for the 38 and Tone tracks, as well as, and more importantly, the average type and number of airframes dropped at the end of each track. Your decision should definitely be based on the mission of what you want to fly in the USAF and there are plenty of AF pilots on that board that can tell you about the individual missions and lifestyles of different communities. You'll be in 38s or Tones for six months no matter which track you go.

38s is normally described as a tougher program than T-1s. The 38 track has to get you ready for the gnats ass detail flying that is demanded at IFF and the FTU, and continues on in your career as a fighter pilot. Either way, you will no longer be at Whiting Country Club (I'm not hating, I love the lifestyle down here). You will have to get used to mandatory 12 hour days until formal report stops, stand-ups, and being treated like a child at times instead of a responsible officer that can study on their own and be ready for every event.

This is all just what I'm told from the bro network ahead of me as I haven't been back to AF Land yet. You will get a re-blueing class for both tracks at Vance to cleanse you of the Navy terminology and get you back into the AETC mindset.

Baseops.net is my biggest suggestion to you, but you can PM CrateOfThunder if you want. He just checked in for 38s at Vance. Good luck, and just out of curiosity since I'm just in the C4100 block, do most studs know what they can track with two months still remaining in the program?

Rev

toper540

At some point in the program (at least half way through), go to stu con and ask for you composite score. They can give you an idea of how your grades compare to the rest of the people in the program and they can also give you an idea of what you NSS would be if you selected during that week. The composite score is a 1.XXX number that you can compare out on the read and initial board