• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tanker Tales - When tanking isn't an option

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Pg. 46 of the new AOPA Pilot has a story of some wayward Air Force-type F-4 pilots.

Circa March 10, 1967 both birds took some hits and, when it became apparent that one of them didn't have the gas to hit the tanker or make it back to friendly territory, wing tried to actually "push" lead along in the air by catching his tailhook with his canopy bow, apparently in 15-20 second legs. Both aircrews ejected over Laos and were recovered.

Google brings up some material on this event, but nothing really credible on the whole "aerial pushing" aspect. Anybody ever hear of this event? Like maybe way back when it happened? I can't really see how it'd help, but I guess it all worked out for them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It happened ...

See Peter E. Davies (2004). US Air Force F-4 Phantom II MiG Killers 1965-68. Osprey Publishing. p. 43.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Bob Pardo is a good guy. He and his wife live in College Station Texas and are members of the country club my wife worked at during college. I got to meet him and hear the story first person which was quite a hoot. The guys a character that's for sure...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Google brings up some material on this event, but nothing really credible on the whole "aerial pushing" aspect. Anybody ever hear of this event? Like maybe way back when it happened? I can't really see how it'd help, but I guess it all worked out for them.

Even Wiki has some info as well as Boeing (from its McDonnell heritage)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Very famous event, I believe covered in "dogfights", and even "covered" by an episode of JAG, where Harm does the same thing. Amazing. Truth is crazier (stranger) than fiction often times...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I remember a similar episode in a book called The Wild Blue, which is historical fiction/loosely based on real people and events about the USAF from the end of WWII to present day.

But "Pardo's Push" was real.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As others indicate, yes it happened with the Air Force. And maybe I missed it, but it happened to a couple of Navy F-4s too.

IIRC, it was in 1972. One F-4 lost most or all thrust after being hit over the North. They had both read the story about Pardo and Aman doing their trick in 1967, so they decided to try the same, drop-the-hook-and-I'll-push-you-out-feet-wet-with-your-hook-on-my-"bullet-proof" windscreen. Then you eject, feet-wet.

There was a Naval Aviation News article of their experience and how they learned from the Air Force experience, that we all took to heart. We talked about it a lot, and we kept it in our "extra-NATOPS" notebook, if ever needed.

I'll see if I can find the old article.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As others indicate, yes it happened with the Air Force. And maybe I missed it, but it happened to a couple of Navy F-4s too.

IIRC, it was in 1972. One F-4 lost most or all thrust after being hit over the North. They had both read the story about Pardo and Aman doing their trick in 1967, so they decided to try the same, drop-the-hook-and-I'll-push-you-out-feet-wet-with-your-hook-on-my-"bullet-proof" windscreen. Then you eject, feet-wet.

There was a Naval Aviation News article of their experience and how they learned from the Air Force experience, that we all took to heart. We talked about it a lot, and we kept it in our "extra-NATOPS" notebook, if ever needed.

I'll see if I can find the old article.

Yeah, definitely not a NATOPS procedure, but certainly better to get a "push" feet dry, punch out, and get rescued in time to be back to the boat by midrats then to punch out in durkistan to be hosted by hadji.

I guess in any airframe, there are things we'd consider doing which you wouldn't find in any pub, but certainly better than the "alternative" NATOPS procedure for a given situation/emergency.

I wonder if these instances were the only time in aviation history that a section have PURPOSELY "swapped paint", or "scratched glass", as it were.

/standing by for someone with stronger google-fu.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Well okay. Guess it is legit.

Just seems so odd and infeasible, but I guess you after-burning types can make enough thrust to keep two of you airborne, and the hook can handle stress in that direction.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And when it is an option, life is good

ImageResizer.aspx

HORNETS IN ACTION - An F/A-18F Super Hornet flies in front of two F/A-18C Hornets, one of which, center, is re-fueling with the assistance of a U.S. Air Force KC-10 Extender over Afghanistan, Oct. 13, 2009. The F/A-18s are part of the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group, which is on a routine deployment to the region. U.S. Navy photo by Lt. j.g. Kyle Terwilliger

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The guy doing the pushing must have had some massive brass balls. Think about it. What would happen if the windscreen or canopy bow fails? Guess where that hook is going. Not pretty.