• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

target practice

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A much better way for a ship to die than to become razor blades.

Too bad they didn't make a reef out of them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
A much better way for a ship to die than to become razor blades.

Too bad they didn't make a reef out of them.

Agreed. Good to see them go down fighting instead of being scrapped.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Good to see them go down fighting .....

Go down fighting ???? A target??? O.K., whatever works for you .... :)

But this cracked me up:

Plans to fire Harpoon cruise missiles and Maverick anti-ship missiles were halted when the ships sank too quickly.

"That was somewhat of a surprise to us," said Capt. Mike Franken, the squadron's commodore (i.e., comenting on how fast the target ships sank) . "We shot 45 5-inch rounds in the Stump, targeting the waterline, and it went down in short order."

Duuhhhh .... 45 x 5-inch on the waterline ??? 9100 tons ... no waterline armored belt. No damage control. And they "SINK" in "short order" ??? Now, who could know ..... ???:eek::eek:

The only surprise --- is that it surprised him. *Sigh* ... Black Shoes.

USS STUMP (l) and USS Comte de Grasse (r) in better days ....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, poor choice of words, it's still more apropos for a warship than getting scrapped.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
"The Navy is offering a dozen other decommissioned ships as potential fishing reefs. They include the aircraft carriers Forrestal, Independence and Constellation, "

Acckk they're getting into ships I have traps on. Gotta be a sure sign I'm getting old. Indy was my first. My cousin was an AE1 t-shooter with 129 so he claimed the hold-back from the launch bar before they pitched it so I have both ends.