• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tax deduction for flight simulator?

etsgraham

Anyone know if I can get a tax deduction for buying Microsoft Flight Simulator X and a set of flight controls, being that I am a Student Naval Aviator?

Lawman

None
Anyone know if I can get a tax deduction for buying Microsoft Flight Simulator X and a set of flight controls, being that I am a Student Naval Aviator?

I have a couple questions.

1. Have you lurked on this site long?

2. Is that actually your picture?

3. If yes to 1 and 2 what the hell are you thinking!?!?

phrogpilot73

I don't think so, however it's still good to get them. After you get out and are miserable in your cube-life, you can come home and fly to your hearts content... ;)

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I have a couple questions.

1. Have you lurked on this site long?

2. Is that actually your picture?

3. If yes to 1 and 2 what the hell are you thinking!?!?

Yeah creepy old men hang out on this site!:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In response to all the ridiculous questions about tax deductions, I just finished doing my returns (whew!) and I'll submit the following: You can't deduct ANY work related expenses (legit or otherwise) unless they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. So if you make 100K, you would have to have more than $2000 worth of flight sim and haircut receipts in order to claim the deduction.

Brett

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The only chance you have would be to go the home office route and I don't see it happening. They keep a pretty close eye on that allowance. I was asked to provide a bunch of paperwork last year about my claim. Funny thing is that my claim is legit. I don't have to fudge anything. One nice thing though, a high-end 3-D CAD computer is automatically a good game computer and my upgrades are deductable.

BourneID

pilot
Had you not used the hope credit yet, maybe you could utilize it as an educational expense seeing that you are a STUDENT Naval Aviator