• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tech majors

bretts1919

Does the Navy look at technical majors, as much as the Air Force does for students in the NROTC? Because I read on the Air Force website, and talked to a recruiter, he said you could attain higher rank with one, and may do better over all with one. Is this true, and if you are not really interested in a tech major can you still be qualified equally without?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Does the Navy look at technical majors, as much as the Air Force does for students in the NROTC? Because I read on the Air Force website, and talked to a recruiter, he said you could attain higher rank with one, and may do better over all with one. Is this true, and if you are not really interested in a tech major can you still be qualified equally without?

As far as I am concerned, the only reason to take on a technical major is if you are interested in a technical subject. Technical majors are hard. The Navy will not give you a higher rank just because you are an engineer, and they won't give you special treatment either. As far as the training is concerned...either you can handle the material or you can't, and I doubt 4 years of engineering / science / math courses will help you if you can't understand the ideal gas law,

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Good advice. Choose a technical major because you want to, not because the Navy wants you to.

The Air Force has historically stressed it's officers having technical backgrounds, especially its pilots. The Navy, on the other, hasn't. I would even venture a guess to say the majority of naval aviators weren't technical majors in college. I sure wasn't. History all the way, not a chance in hell I could tell you what the ideal gas law is.

That said, I know the Navy had been toying with the idea of trying to "promote" technical majors in NROTC about the time I commissioned in 2005. It may have actually been earlier but that's when I first caught wind of it. There had been talk of giving higher stipends to technical majors or just giving out scholarships to a higher percentage of technical majors instead of liberal arts/business types. Guys in NROTC right now may be able to give a more updated picture for you.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
That said, I know the Navy had been toying with the idea of trying to "promote" technical majors in NROTC about the time I commissioned in 2005.
At my first unit it was "promoted", but nothing more than suggested it. Hard to explain, it was never explicitly said that it's preferred and treatment never dictated it, I think most of the officers at the unit had an engineering degree or were getting their masters in one, and I think preference showed slightly. As of late though it doesn't matter if you're doing a double major in physics and quantum theory or English, as long as you do well in your classes.

It may have actually been earlier but that's when I first caught wind of it. There had been talk of giving higher stipends to technical majors or just giving out scholarships to a higher percentage of technical majors instead of liberal arts/business types. Guys in NROTC right now may be able to give a more updated picture for you.

I haven't heard or seen technical majors getting a bigger stipend. I think I only heard that here on AW a few times as being suggested, but right now it's the same for everyone. Theres some statistic floating around (I think I also saw that here), suggesting that being in a technical major will add a negligible .01% or something to an overall score in terms of scholarship/selection, but I haven't seen it as fact. However, everywhere, including numerous times on AW, it has been echoed that major will not affect what you do (maybe if you want to go nuke?).

red1323

However, everywhere, including numerous times on AW, it has been echoed that major will not affect what you do (maybe if you want to go nuke?).

Nah, major doesn't even matter for nukes. Applicants are required to have 2 yrs of physics w/calc and Calc I-III and DE (I think) so most nukes are tech majors simply because those comprise the main courses the first two years of most tech majors. Major in what you like, don't stress the 4.0 and use the four (or five..or eight and a half...) years to find out who you are. Just my $0.02.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I was NROTC... started engineering, hated it, and moved to IST. The Navy just made me put a chit in to prove I could still graduate on time.

I was always told that tech majors gave you a couple extra points when it came time to select but that your GPA was way more important. That might have been PSUNROTC bullsh!t to try and produce more nukes.

To echo NavAir42, I'd heard the same thing about stipends increasing... frankly you couldn't have paid me enough to take a schedule of classes that I hated.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Nah, major doesn't even matter for nukes. Applicants are required to have 2 yrs of physics w/calc and Calc I-III and DE (I think)

It's even simpler: You need 2 sememsters (not years) of Calc based physics, and then Calc I and II. No multivariable Calc or Differential equations. This means all midshipmen from NROTC and USNA are eligible for nuke. However, if you're a tech major, you can screen for the interview with a 2.8 or 2.9. If you're not technical and have that GPA, you can forget about it.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I were in charge I'd offer midshipmen the option to not take physics if they just acknowledge they forfeit the opportunity to apply for nuke. My GPA would be a lot happier if the Navy did that.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Physics is NOT that hard people... What's next, taking HS dropouts and making them ECMOs?

And that guy lives in a friggin trailor...It's easier than Literature; or at least takes WAY less time outside of class. And you just might learn some good ole critical thinking skills. Most of the mids I see having problems with the core requirements just mindfuck themselves, and end up having to go to PRB over stupid academic crap.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If I were in charge I'd offer midshipmen the option to not take physics if they just acknowledge they forfeit the opportunity to apply for nuke. My GPA would be a lot happier if the Navy did that.

I had the impression they MAKE you take Calc and Physics specifically so they CAN stuff you in nuke slot?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And that guy lives in a friggin trailor...It's easier than Literature; or at least takes WAY less time outside of class. And you just might learn some good ole critical thinking skills. Most of the mids I see having problems with the core requirements just mindfuck themselves, and end up having to go to PRB over stupid academic crap.

Oh, how simple. If only you had told me this 12 years ago...

It's not a matter of how Physics is, but how well it's taught. If you're not a math guy to begin with, being in a class full of people who already has a basic understanding and it being lectured (vice taught) by someone who's just filling time isn't all that conducive to learning the subject material. I got A's and B's in Physics AB in HS, but that's because there was time to be taught. Physics BC in college...not so much (grades nor time).

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Physics is NOT that hard people... What's next, taking HS dropouts and making them ECMOs?

I didn't want to have to do this :eek:!

Know and understand that if you choose to follow the path of a technical major, you will have to do a lot of work. The first document was from my intermediate lab class I took my second year as a physics major, we had to do 5 of those in a semester. The second is a homework set from my E & M class, we had to do one set a week.

You have been warned.

Attachments

• yeah.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • right.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 51

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Air Force has historically stressed it's officers having technical backgrounds, especially its pilots. The Navy, on the other, hasn't.
That simply isn't true. The Navy does stress that its officers having technical degrees is good for the Navy. It just doesn't require them yet, officially or unofficially.

Kickflip said:
As far as I am concerned, the only reason to take on a technical major is if you are interested in a technical subject.
This is a bit short sighted but I can understand your rationale. I think a big part of what you get your degree in should be based on the kind of subjects you are interested in. Being interested in learning about what you are studying helps to maintain a long term (4 years) interest to do well in your courses. However, none of this takes into account 1) that your interests may change over the next 10, 15, 20 years and 2) what you will do AFTER you get out of the Navy. Taking a technical major will open doors (or rather, keep them from being closed) for you while you're in the Navy and when you're on the outside looking for employment.