• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Technical know how

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
Anyone know how to make a pass-through that I can connect between my o2 mask and my helmet so I can listen to ipod tunes in the cockpit? I forsee a lot of time in the hot pits in my near future and it would be nice if I could pass the time.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Why were you listening to an ipod?"
Is not a question you want your CO, XO, the senior Lts in your squadron, or God forbid AMB to ask you.

Wont give you much of a leg to stand on if you find yourself in a mishap.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
My guess would be to find an adapter for the two-pronged connector that connects your mask to your helmet and that out-jack from the IPOD. I would surf the web or take the connector to radio shack. I don't imagine why the systems wouldn't be compatible and I am sure it has been done before, chime in Fly, you are a EE guy....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why not find yourself a capable AT to help out. I think they're probably one or two in your squadron.

Not sure what it's like to listen to music in a TacAir platform (well, other than Iron Eagle), or even what your squadron policy is, but 'tunes have definitely kept my crew and I awake more than one long night.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Why not find yourself a capable AT to help out. I think they're probably one or two in your squadron.

Not sure what it's like to listen to music in a TacAir platform (well, other than Iron Eagle), or even what your squadron policy is, but 'tunes have definitely kept my crew and I awake more than one long night.
Prowler crews have been known to use those I-ROK things that let you play your MP3 through your FM radio.

Brett

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
I think some of you missed the part where I said I'd listen to it in the pits. AKA on the ground. Getting fuel. Thanks for the help though.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
skidkid said:
"Why were you listening to an ipod?"
Is not a question you want your CO, XO, the senior Lts in your squadron, or God forbid AMB to ask you.

Wont give you much of a leg to stand on if you find yourself in a mishap.

Yea, what he said. Making mods to your flight gear (certainly as you described it) is against the rules. While it might not cause a mishap, the AMB will most definately pick it up.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
feddoc said:
Yea, what he said. Making mods to your flight gear (certainly as you described it) is against the rules. While it might not cause a mishap, the AMB will most definately pick it up.

Pilot culture in The Navy is all about modifying your gear to suit your own needs. I think more so in the jet community -

iPod in the hot-pits is an AWESOME idea. You will need to work through the impedence issues though

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Yeah, impedance is probably the biggest issue. I dont know what military headsets run on, but the problem with my civvie DC's is that they are 4 ohm and regular headphones are 8 ohm (or maybe it's the other way around). Bad juju if you try to run one with the other.

A lot of the GA airplanes now have com panels that have a talk-over feature that automatically cuts out the music if there's a radio transmission in or out. shouldnt be that hard to make one from Radio shack components either. look around at some of the GA com panels to get ideas.

-Texan

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It can be done -- easily. Even today, some guys do it on the 747. Some touchy-feely, wanna-be loved Captains allow it and do it themselves. But not in my cockpit --- your MP3's and "Pods" will be only used when off duty during a long, augmented TransPac; and then not "wired" into the ship's systems.

I'm not too sure why someone would want to listen to ... "music":) .... when sitting in the fuel pits, however. When something goes wrong and the guys are signalling and screaming "SHUT DOWN!!!" and maybe "GET OUT !!!" and running the other way --- you might want to be focused on things other than your favorite "tune". But hey??? Who am I to judge...??? I'm old and stupid .... ??? At least I made it to .... "old".

I have seen such a "system" modified for use in a tactical evolution, however. From the Adversary Squadrons thread:

A4sForever said:
.... one of our guys who was technologically gifted rigged up a system wherein he could take a cassette tape player (MP3 was then just a wet-dream in the mind of some MS-to-be techno-geek) and wire it into his helmet/mask and ..... viola!!! Instant frequency jammer !!!

Our A-4 Adversary outfit became legend as instant bogeys/bandits/tactical jammers when we would start the run-in and this particular individual or his assigns (if he wasn't flying) would start the cassette tape, key the mic, and clobber the frequency for the Air Force FWS F-15's and their GCI controllers. It destroyed the com with their GCI, "evened up " the initial run-in , and really ticked them off, but they kept asking us back ..... :) Our Navy/Marine squadrons we worked against thought it was great stuff and enjoyed it --- in particular when we worked WITH them against the AF. But the AF Fighter Weapons School could not see the humor coming from a bunch of broken down guys flying old, subsonic airplanes --- irreverent Navy Reservists , one might suppose.

a4fdnst9400691jpg4we.jpg

Early on, he used "Wipeout" or the theme from "Hawaii 5-0" ... a favorite choice after the 1986 movie Top Gun was, of course, "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins in our pathetic attempt to get some "STUD" mileage from the movie .... ;) (the RealPlayer wav. link is erratic, but so am I ) ... http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/sounds/alohasuckers.wav

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Singer6 said:
I think some of you missed the part where I said I'd listen to it in the pits. AKA on the ground. Getting fuel. Thanks for the help though.

No I got that and Im still telling you its a bad idea and so are most of the more experienced guys on the site.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, some enterprising AW's talked some AT's into rigging up the wires to hook things up over ICS in my squadron. In a 60 you have the luxury of a 4 man err person crew, so someone can atleast shut down the noisemaker quickly in the event of an evolution requiring increased focus (i.e. anything other than plane guard) It doesn't seem like the best idea in a single seat aircraft.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Singer6 said:
Anyone know how to make a pass-through that I can connect between my o2 mask and my helmet so I can listen to ipod tunes in the cockpit? I forsee a lot of time in the hot pits in my near future and it would be nice if I could pass the time.
:)