• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Telling your family about your decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfighter

Guys,
I've already made up my mind about joining the Navy to be a fighter pilot. I know its the right decision for me becuase it makes me happy and tremendously excited at the same time. The problem that I'm going to have is letting my family know about what my plans are for the future. I know my mother is going to have a fit. My father, he may or may not be on the same page as my mother. I really want to to this and irregardless of their reaction, I'm going for it. I want to know if any of you got adverse reactions to your decision and how you coped with it?
Erin

Edited by - dawgfighter on 02/20/2002 19:54:42

dcstruble

Tell them sooner rather than later. I told mine before I got my acceptance but after I knew I had passed MEPS and the test. It made them feel part of the process.

Paul Burke

Everyone always wants the approval of their parents. When I first enlisted, my dad gave me the "I'm proud of ya boy" schpiel and my mom burst into tears thinking I was going to get killed somewhere. She got over it and supported my decision.

When I got out and decided to go to college, my mom was really excited for me. But my dad said "You are just throwing away your money in order to be brain washed by a bunch of damn liberals. You don't need college, you need to get a good, honorable job and work hard at it." After I started school he changed his attitude to "yeah, you're doing the right thing, just don't f*** it up."

When I told them that I got selected for training as a Naval Aviator they were both thrilled. My mom was thrilled because it's a good job that pays well and my dad was thrilled because I am going to have the greatest job on Earth.

No matter what happens at first, end game, they will support your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.