• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 fit/height in general

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Any of you helo bubbas out there over 6'2", or know guys that made it through the pipeline that are above average height? We just got through with aviation night here at TBS, which included some front seat time in a TH-57. It was an awesome experience, and definitely opened my eyes to the rotary wing side of things, but also raised some concerns about fitting into the cockpit. I'm about 6'4", and was pretty much bumping the 'glass' above my head. It wasn;t uncomfortable, and once I got adjusted there weren't really any problems. My measurements have been cleared by NOMI on more than one occasion, so i guess I'm wondering if they let the tall guys cram in and go, or try to play games and keep you from flying. Any tall guys from all pipelines please chime in about your experiences throughout primary and the fleet.
-probably just a late-TBS case of worrying about having my flying career cut short before it begins, but I appreciate the info.

phrogpilot73

I don't think it will be a problem. I'm short (my measurements are actually "outside the norm" according to NOMI), but I've seen many a tall guy flying. Remember, the fleet aircraft cockpits are much larger!

S.O.B.

pilot
I'm fairly short but I know some large dudes that have become helo pilots. The problem is gaining weight. I was in advanced with a short fat guy and his legs prevented lateral movement of the cyclic. Also the 57 is weight limited.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There are some big dudes down here who manage to fit into the sea ranger, if NOMI says you'll fit, I guess it'll work. plus, it's only for 6mo.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I've seen 6'7" - yeah it's tight but it's not dangerous or undoable. You'll have horrible back and spine issues from slouching but you will get used to it.

I am 6'4" and taught for over 2000 hours in the mighty TH-57. Wasn't too bad. The HGU-84 helmet is a lower profile so that helps too.

In the fleet you will be more than OK. Thise are all big cockpits - even the front seat of the Whiskey aint too bad.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
What about wide shoulders. I'm not too tall but I'm built like a freaking mack truck. Any big guys have trouble fitting in any cockpits, be they jets, props, or helos?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
What about wide shoulders. I'm not too tall but I'm built like a freaking mack truck. Any big guys have trouble fitting in any cockpits, be they jets, props, or helos?

Easy there, tiger.

Don't sweat it. There's plenty of guys out there in your same boat, whatever boat that is. If NOMI says you're good, you'll be good. You might have to carry 2 or 3 sets of wheels in a -57, but you'll fit fine.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
gatordev said:
Easy there, tiger.

Don't sweat it. There's plenty of guys out there in your same boat, whatever boat that is. If NOMI says you're good, you'll be good. You might have to carry 2 or 3 sets of wheels in a -57, but you'll fit fine.

Gator is right...guys in size 48 or 50 flight suits were no problem.

phrogpilot73

gatordev said:
Easy there, tiger.

2 or 3 sets of wheels... Ha, ha!! Reminds me of a story (I got a million of 'em)... I was flying with the XO of HT-18 (Caveman), and I had done the weight and balance and told him "Sir, we need to take off with X number of gallons and a set of wheels to be within limits".

His reply - "Jesus, don't you think I know I'm a fatass? I wake up every morning, look in the mirror and wonder if a student is going to tell me what we have to do to get my fat ass up into the air that day. Thanks."