• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thank you letters

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would it be proper military courtesy (or at least professional courtesy) to write a thank you letter to a professional organization of Naval Aviators who awarded you a merit scholarship? And if so, what would be a good format? Or would this be innappropriate? Would this be something that you would want to run by the CO before sending out? Thanks

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
A thank you note is always well received. Generally it goes on one of those fold over thank you cards and the format is so

Dear Polly,

Thank you for the musical Elmo doll that you bought Christina. She plays with it all the time and it's become one of her favorite toys to play with before bed time. You certainly know how to pick out presents for children!
See you at the next get together!

Sincerely,
Laura

You can replace the Words to get something like this

Dear MILITARY ORGANIZATION,

Thank you for the MERIT SCHOLARSHIP that you AWARDED ME. I play with it all the time and it's become one of MIDNJAC'S favorite MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS to play with before CLASSES. You certainly know how to pick out MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS for MIDSHIPMEN!

Sincerely,
MIDNJAC

Good to Go!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
A thank you note is always well received. Generally it goes on one of those fold over thank you cards and the format is so

Quote:
Dear Polly,

Thank you for the musical Elmo doll that you bought Christina. She plays with it all the time and it's become one of her favorite toys to play with before bed time. You certainly know how to pick out presents for children!

Sincerely,
Laura
You can replace the Words to get something like this

Quote:
Dear MILITARY ORGANIZATION,

Thank you for the MERIT SCHOLARSHIP that you AWARDED ME. I play with it all the time and it's become one of MIDNJAC'S favorite MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS to play with before CLASSES. You certainly know how to pick out MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS for MIDSHIPMEN!

Sincerely,
MIDNJAC
Good to Go!

This is not appropriate if you are on active duty. If you are, find the appropriate format in the JO's best friend...the YNC...I mean...the correspondance manual. Actually...if you are a mid...you probably ought to use the appropriate format as well.

http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/resources/policies/memo/5216_5d.pdf

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Pray, tell why not...

Actually your better off with a copy of Service Etiquette.

0870216201.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
:D Are you kidding me right now? Ignore the manual actually published by the Navy, and go it on your own with Polly Post's Service Etiquette for Dummies???;)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
No I'm not. The correspondence manual does not deal with thank you notes - I know I've checked many times before, and even looking in that copy you posted I don't see anything that would help him...

Might as well be looking for the chow hall in that thing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I'm not. The correspondence manual does not deal with thank you notes - I know I've checked many times before, and even looking in that copy you posted I don't see anything that would help him...

Might as well be looking for the chow hall in that thing.

Just because you're in the Naval Service, doesn't mean you have to use a Naval correspondence format, especially if you're a mid. A personal letter is more than adequate for the OP's situation and it doesn't need to go through the COC chop chain. Correspondence IAW the "manual" is more for official command business. That said, it is an invaluable reference and young JOs could all benefit immeasurably by familiarizing themselves with it. One of the biggest hurdles I see JOs try to overcome is official correspondence and formatting of various forms of paperwork. Just asking the YNC to help you, or to fix your mistakes is unprofessional.

Brett