• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Big Ones

fergz89

Currently I am 6'1 and 270, prior I was 310. I am on the mission to losing my rugby weight to qualify for the service, however I am curious as to what I need to get down to? From my understanding the USMC does not have a weight limit as long as you pass/max the PFT and you can make tape. If anyone out there can give me some info that would be greatly appreciated!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently I am 6'1 and 270, prior I was 310. I am on the mission to losing my rugby weight to qualify for the service, however I am curious as to what I need to get down to? From my understanding the USMC does not have a weight limit as long as you pass/max the PFT and you can make tape. If anyone out there can give me some info that would be greatly appreciated!

You're talking about service height-weight standards. NAMI Anthropometric standards for flying are different; they're based on being able to fit in the cockpit and safely ride the ejection seat (they have performance envelopes). Look at the Anthro thread for others' experiences.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

You're in San Diego, right? Less booze/partying at SDSU and more trips to the gym and tender greens (that place rocks!).

cem118

I've got a follow-on question. I am heading to OCS February 8. I am currently 73 inches and 220 lbs. The standard is 206 lbs for my height. I will have no problem making tape. I can max out the PRA including running a sub 9 min 1.5 mile. I've been told to avoid having to be taped because it draws negative attention. How big of a deal is it? Losing 14 lbs in 4 weeks might be doable but I am not sure if it is smart.

fergz89

You're in San Diego, right? Less booze/partying at SDSU and more trips to the gym and tender greens (that place rocks!).

Hahaha I graduated last year, wasn't much of a partier to begin with. However less trips to Ballast point have been arranged! I agree also with tender greens being awesome just not on the wallet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've got a follow-on question. I am heading to OCS February 8. I am currently 73 inches and 220 lbs. The standard is 206 lbs for my height. I will have no problem making tape. I can max out the PRA including running a sub 9 min 1.5 mile. I've been told to avoid having to be taped because it draws negative attention. How big of a deal is it? Losing 14 lbs in 4 weeks might be doable but I am not sure if it is smart.

As long as you're at or under 22% body fat I don't see how it would draw negative attention. Some folks are just big in general.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As long as you're at or under 22% body fat I don't see how it would draw negative attention. Some folks are just big in general.

I'll let the Marines on here speak to current thinking, but I have heard my green buddies complain about "every Marine should be a lean triathlete and taping=fatbody" mindsets in the past.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is there an ejection seat waiver? I had to sign one (I'm 6'4" and about 240) for damn near every aircraft when I was in primary.

There is, but I have an AF T-6A as my avatar for a reason.

I'm 6'5 and 245-ish is my normal healthy weight. Had orders to VT-6 as an IP. I pursued the waiver so I wouldn't be miserable.

Waiver denied. Now at Vance. A mod seat is 245max. Something about the B mod seat kit has more shit in it.

I'm pretty sure if an IP can't get one, a stud can't.