• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The downside of women serving alongside men in fighting ships, subs, squadrons, etc.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Commanding Officer and the CMC of the USS James E Williams were relieved after nine fraternization cases were taken to Mast in November.

web_091001-N-0780F-052.jpg

091001-N-0780F-052 SOUDA BAY, Greece (Oct. 1, 2009) The guided-missisle destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) prepares to go underway after a routine port visit to Crete. James E. Williams is homeported in Norfolk and has been on a scheduled six-month deployment since April, operating in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility supporting maritime security operations. (U.S. Navy photo by Paul Farley/Released)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
hmm...even dogs know not to shit where they eat. I wonder how involved the CO/CMC were. Small boat, so they had to know something.

BigRed389

None
Shitty way to mark the end of their deployment as they did a bit of "cool" stuff over there.

Apparently, the incidents heavily involved the Chief's Mess...

Wow. I don't understand why they would risk fraternization in the first place.

No offense, but there is not a man on this earth that can possibly be worth more to me than my future career in the Navy. (Probably the reason why I'm currently single - men don't like to come in last place) :D

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Wow. I don't understand why they would risk fraternization in the first place.

No offense, but there is not a man on this earth that can possibly be worth more to me than my future career in the Navy. (Probably the reason why I'm currently single - men don't like to come in last place) :D

A long time without intimacy does strange things to a person. Bad things that make them forget who they are...nothing new here, these people just got caught. Frat is one of the biggest problems in today's Navy and it leads to a lot of wasted time, effort, money, and careers...

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
I just read the Navy Times article involving this ship. I was upset. I just got off this ship and can testify as to how cool the CO was, especially for a shoe. The morale was high onboard and everyone loved him. All this fraternization stuff came to light at the end and I honestly believe the wardroom had no idea about all this stuff happening in the chief's mess, especially the CO and XO. He was a great leader, officer and CO and the navy really messed up by ending his tour and probably his career. He was also "aviator friendly" and as we all know, that is hard to come by in the shoe world.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The morale was high onboard and everyone loved him. All this fraternization stuff came to light at the end and I honestly believe the wardroom had no idea about all this stuff happening in the chief's mess, especially the CO and XO.

Obviously this is a sensitive subject, but is, "they should have known," the counter point here?

MasterBates

You can't be everywhere and see everything at all times.

Or some other stuff that was happening in a previous Shoe-Box I cruised on would have been known sooner as well..

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
According to the article, 9 sailors went to NJP, which leaves the odd man out. Someone double dipping there eh?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Intrusive leadership! The CO should have been in all spaces at all times. Duh!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A long time without intimacy does strange things to a person. Bad things that make them forget who they are...nothing new here, these people just got caught. Frat is one of the biggest problems in today's Navy and it leads to a lot of wasted time, effort, money, and careers...

That's true.

On my last cruise we had several incidents involving frat. People, careers, marriages... all taken down because of courtship on the warship.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just read the Navy Times article involving this ship. I was upset. I just got off this ship and can testify as to how cool the CO was, especially for a shoe. The morale was high onboard and everyone loved him.

If I was getting laid on the boat, my morale would be high, too.

Obviously this is a sensitive subject, but is, "they should have known," the counter point here?

I personally don't agree that the CO, by himself, should have known, but the wardroom should have, who in turn should have moved it up the chain.

DISCLAIMER: I'm talking generally, not the specific case that FlyFastNow describes...

I'm not surprised if the wardroom didn't know (if it involved chiefs), but they should have. Kind of goes to the whole "knowing your troops outside work." If you spend a little time w/ your guys during liberty, you can see some things. I'm not saying a lot of time, but you can still get a pulse for things.

There was a case on my last deployment where two officers were under suspicion. I had no idea, but it was because I didn't really have any desire to hang out with them. But every other regular wardroom member (read: non-aviator) knew something wasn't right.

My guess in the WILLIAMS case, there were some Chiefs that knew, and that's where the CO could be burned. If the Chiefs weren't bringing it up the chain, and if the JOs didn't know or weren't notified, it leaves the CO hanging out to dry.

All my opinion, of course.