• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Evolution of IED's a Four Part Series from the Washington Post

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
A lot of things that would have been better off left unsaid, in my unpriviledged opinion.

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
Dear Mr. Rick Atkinson of the Washington Post.

Please choke on your own dick and die.

Thanks.

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
Huh? You got anger issues dude......:eek:

Yeah I know, I do. I suffer from jet lagg and having to be sober to deal with it. My anger is not mis-placed though. You'd think that someone who was with the 101'st and the son of an Army officer would have more sense than to write to what amounts to propaganda for the enemy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I know, I do. I suffer from jet lagg and having to be sober to deal with it. My anger is not mis-placed though. You'd think that someone who was with the 101'st and the son of an Army officer would have more sense than to write to what amounts to propaganda for the enemy.

Is it still propaganda if it's true?

Brett

SkywardET

Contrarian
Is it still propaganda if it's true?

Brett
Propaganda is just one-sided info spread with the intention to influence opinion, so the truth can be propaganda. Propaganda has a well-deserved connotation of being invalid because it almost never includes the whole truth on a given matter.

BackOrdered

Contributor
From what we do know about IEDs and the toll they take on our forces, what's the second side to it?

hscs

pilot

Are you for real?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Propaganda is just one-sided info spread with the intention to influence opinion, so the truth can be propaganda. Propaganda has a well-deserved connotation of being invalid because it almost never includes the whole truth on a given matter.

If we accept that definition, then every Op-Ed piece in every publication is propaganda. If propaganda is one-sided, how can the "truth" be propaganda? Isn't the truth a fact - free from subjectivity? It would seem, in this case, that people will label something as propaganda when the truth is something that doesn't support their argument.

I think you made that definition up.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Propaganda is the deliberate, systematic attempt to shape perceptions, manipulate cognitions, and direct behavior to achieve a response that furthers the desired intent of the propagandist.
– Garth S. Jowett and Victoria O'Donnell, Propaganda And Persuasion

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
or from Merriam-Webster

pro·pa·gan·da

Pronunciation: \ˌprä-pə-ˈgan-də, ˌprō-\
Function:noun
Etymology:New Latin, from Congregatio de propaganda fide Congregation for propagating the faith, organization established by Pope Gregory XV died 1623
Date:1718

1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect