• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Flight You Almost Bought the Farm On?

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
I am sure there are some good stories out there that have never made it to an Approach Article. So how about it, when was the last time you almost bought the farm in an aircraft, but lived to tell the tale?

*Helo bubbas I know you have more than anyone else, so just one per member if you could, unless they are really good and involve fecal matter or beer.:D

(Oh yeah! Like my new avatar?)

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
I am sure there are some good stories out there that have never made it to an Approach Article. So how about it, when was the last time you almost bought the farm in an aircraft, but lived to tell the tale?

*Helo bubbas I know you have more than anyone else, so just one per member if you could, unless they are really good and involve fecal matter or beer.:D

A bit morbid...don't you think?
That's not really something I would think anyone would want to talk about.

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
I didn't think it was morbid topic. Now if I had said how about when your....oh never mind.

I looked at the other thread, but that was started last year, a lot can happen in 12 months. Besides being scared and almost buying the farm are like two different things.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Why do I get the impression that this thread will inevitably devolve into a self-serving opportunity for you to lavish us with another over-the-top, amateurishly written tall tale detailing your many "death-defying" exploits as a reservist tanker goon? Please spare us. :rolleyes:

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Why do I get the impression that this thread will inevitably devolve into a self-serving opportunity for you to lavish us with another over-the-top, amateurishly written tall tale detailing your many "death-defying" exploits as a reservist tanker goon? Please spare us. :rolleyes:

Brett

Attachments

• ist2_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg
    ist2_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 19

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A bit morbid...don't you think?
That's not really something I would think anyone would want to talk about.

you know what....I think this might be a very good topic for some of us wannabes to hear. I don't particularly want to die, so please, anyone who has more experience than me (most everyone here) please post away

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
you know what....I think this might be a very good topic for some of us wannabes to hear. I don't particularly want to die, so please, anyone who has more experience than me (most everyone here) please post away

Pay attention, study hard, try not to do.

There's your ORM for today.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please read below....It's the best FREE advice you'll ever get:

Approach, Nov, 2001 by Steve Baxter

Many years ago, as a flight student, I was fortunate to have more than my share of good instructors. They would offer advice, encouragement and when needed, a healthy dose of motivation. Each had his own style. Some used soft-spoken, clever phrases. Others favored vein-popping, ICS-distorting tirades.

One teacher took a moment out of his busy day to explain his three-bucket theory to me. This old guy (he must have been nearly 30) obviously had been to those faraway places where few men boldly go, and fewer still return from.

He held my undivided attention when he mentioned the three buckets of naval aviation during a debrief one day. After all, my pink sheet was sitting within reach of the black-and-silver Skilcraft resting in his gnarled paw.

"Let me tell ya about these buckets," he said, saltiness and JP-5 dripping from every word.

"Yes sir," I squeaked.

"These buckets are standard issue once ya get to your first fleet squadron. You carry them with you every day for the rest of your career." His eyes reflected the pain of 11 months on Yankee Station, so I knew he spoke the truth. I had no idea what he was talking about (my mind still raced from shooting sloppy point-to-points an hour earlier).

"The first one," he said, "is called the experience bucket. That one, when ya first get it issued, is empty. Nothing in it. Not a drop." I figured that made sense. I knew I had a long way to go from my radial interceptor to a fleet airplane, whatever that was going to be.

He continued, "The experience bucket begins to fill from the moment you walk into your first ready room, whether you know it or not. Every time you go to work, it gets a bit fuller." I was beginning to understand. He took a sip from a stained coffee mug and a long drag on an unfiltered cigarette. "As it fills, whatever is in there is available to use when you might need it, later on."

I asked what he meant by that. "You see, while waiting in marshall on some dark and scary night in the IO, you'll need that pail. You'll reach into it, and the knot in the pit of your stomach will get a lot smaller, trust me." He mentioned something about a slider at that point, but I figured it was some term from the olden days.

"The second bucket is labeled knowledge. Just like the first one, this one is empty when it's issued."

"How do I fill this one up?" I asked, in my whiney, ensign voice. I didn't like the answer.

"This one is not like the first. This one you can only fill by hard work and study," he replied. I was disappointed because I thought I was done studying once I got those Wings of Gold. He talked about stuff like NATOPS and 4790, and a bunch of other pubs that I pretended to know. I just figured I'd put the names in my experience bucket and pull 'em out to impress some other new guy.

"That knowledge bucket," he went on, "will really come in handy. Scary thing about that one though."

"Jimminy," I thought, "if he says it's scary, what's next?"

The lieutenant continued. "With the knowledge bucket, if you don't keep it refreshed by study, it begins to dry up. It'll go completely empty if you don't work at keeping it full. When you need to reach into it and it's empty, you'll be in a hurt locker." I didn't know what a hurt locker was, but I was pretty sure I didn't want to be there. I made it a point to begin filling up my knowledge bucket ASAP (I had learned that acronym earlier that day).

He continued, "The third bucket is labeled luck. This one, unlike the other two, is filled to the brim on the very first day you get it." Interesting, I thought. "The luck bucket is the one you don't want to reach into very often. Unlike the others, once you take something out of the luck bucket, it's gone. Can't put it back. It's much better to reach into one of the other two and leave this third one for those times when you really need it." Sounded like good advice. "I've had to reach into that last one a couple of times," he said. His eyes kind of glazed over, and I could have sworn I heard the razor-sharp growl of a missile-tracking radar. "Anyway," he returned from that faraway place, "you don't want to reach into that luck bucket when the other two are sitting there right next to it."

I left the debrief without a pink-sheet that day, but I figured the two "belows" I got for those tortured point-to-points were worth it. Sure, I had learned a thing or two about radial-magnetic indicators and that the tail rises (or does it fall?), but I was more intrigued by the three-bucket theory. For just a little while, until my next flight, I felt as if I was slightly ahead of the power curve (I had learned that term earlier, too).

Cdr. Baxter is the commanding officer of VAQ-136.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please...entertain us with your ribald tales of the KC-130....

boy%20eating%20popcorn.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Please...entertain us with your ribald tales of the KC-130....

boy%20eating%20popcorn.jpg
How about tales about how I almost killed you from the aspect of a KC-130 pilot. Don't forget to mention a good one about dragging a division into IMC from CAVU or an 80 mile track into the sun at about 1400.