• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Jug at work

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Awesome. I like the guy at the end, standing next to the big hole in his rudder, showing how his hands are still shaking.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Great find! +1
Ahh the good old days, when wing walkers were wing riders!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
At 2:10-2:12, there is what looks like a small HUD...is that an old gun/bomb sight or just part of the canopy (yes, I know that is not really a HUD, it was just the best descriptor I could use)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
At 2:10-2:12, there is what looks like a small HUD...is that an old gun/bomb sight or just part of the canopy (yes, I know that is not really a HUD, it was just the best descriptor I could use)

Yah, that's a gun sight. They have a display of a bunch of different WWII ones at the Smithsonian air and space. The one in the vid looks like one of the ones that was gyro-stabilized/compensated and displayed the crosshairs "holographically". I'll see if I can dig up the actual name on the model.

Eliot Watts

Reflector sight

In WWII, early P-51Ds were equipped with simple N-9 sights used light projected onto a glass. Later models were fitted with the sophisticated K-14 computing sight. Gyroscopes and magnetic electrical fields in the box were used with consideration of the speed of the projectiles, and the target's speed and usual distance. Data was reflected in images reflected on the glass, effectively calculating the target deflection. The pilot had to set the wingspan of the target, and use a throttle mounted control to keep the target centered. This made the pilot's hunting much easier.

Wikipedia

Bolter

pilot
what an awesome video. can you imagine the American people today if we reported 97 pilots KIA in one day from one squadron?!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
what an awesome video. can you imagine the American people today if we reported 97 pilots KIA in one day from one squadron?!

I haven't watched the video. One squadron had more than 97 pilots in it??? wow

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yah, that's a gun sight. They have a display of a bunch of different WWII ones at the Smithsonian air and space. The one in the vid looks like one of the ones that was gyro-stabilized/compensated and displayed the crosshairs "holographically". I'll see if I can dig up the actual name on the model.

Thanks!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I know the Jug made it's reputation as a real effective mud mover..... but the Germans were simply astounded that such a big unwieldy looking airplane could be so damn nimble. If it hadn't been for its much shorter legs, the 'bolt was as good if not better than the North American pony...IMHO.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I haven't watched the video. One squadron had more than 97 pilots in it??? wow

This was an Air Force squadron.... much different than Navy or Marine Corps. Case in point, a typical F-15E squadron has more jets than my Prowler squadron had aircrew.

OldNavy

I know the Jug made it's reputation as a real effective mud mover..... but the Germans were simply astounded that such a big unwieldy looking airplane could be so damn nimble. If it hadn't been for its much shorter legs, the 'bolt was as good if not better than the North American pony...IMHO.

My father-in-law's brother flew Jugs in Europe. They had a saying that went something like; "If you want to get the girl, fly a P-51. If you want to get home, fly a P-47"

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
This was an Air Force squadron.... much different than Navy or Marine Corps. Case in point, a typical F-15E squadron has more jets than my Prowler squadron had aircrew.

The unit detailed in the video was a fighter group. Much larger than a squadron.

I think the Marines have the same setup.