• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Mental Game

mrh001

Hey guys,
From what I've read about OCS, it seems pretty clear that as difficult as the physical part of Marine Corps OCS is, the mental part is what will get you. At this point as I'm considering applying for OCC, it is the mental part that concerns me the most. I don't mean that arrogantly, I just mean that it seems that you can prepare physically a lot easier than you can mentally.

That said, I'm wondering if anybody might have some suggestions on how to prepare mentally. How do you keep from getting "flustered" when the Gunnery Sergeants are yelling at you? How do you keep from "letting OCS get to you"? Is there any way to get ready?

Also, while you're at OCS, do they report your status / progress to you so you can see how you're doing? By the way what percentage of candidates wash out?

Thanks,
mrh

T-man

From everything that I've read or been told, there really is nothing you can do to prepare for the mental aspect of OCS. And the only way to not let the mental aspect get to you is a resolve to make it through no matter the cost.

Also, the wash out rate obviously varries from class to class, but the average over the years (correct me if I'm wrong here, pulling it from memory) is about 30%.

Malice 1

pilot
One of my sergeant instructors told me this when I f^%&$^ up royally:

"Hey, Roll with the punches."

Best advice I ever got.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
You just gotta develop some thick skin and not let the BS get to you. Theres no one way to do this that works for everybody. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty cool head even when things get nuts, so that part of OCS wasn't that bad for me. Just remember that you're goin through that **** with your brothers and try to find the humor in the situation you're in. You will be put through the mental ringer; just knowing that makes dealing with everything a bit easier. Semper fi

Raptor2216

Best advice is to just suck it up, listen to what the staff tells you and don't make the same mistake twice. When times got rough, I found solace in the fact that every officer on base went through the same exact thing and if they could do it, then there was no reason why I couldn't. I would also suggest that you try not to worry about the washout rate so much, instead focus on how you can succeed. You only have to go through this experience once, so make the best of it.

pjxc415

pilot
The first week the games they play with you really aren't so bad. There will be a lot of them, but you're not fatigued and you know you can deal with it. What really sucks is when you come back from Night IMC or Sule II, long days of hard training, and then they start to mess with you, that's when you have to remind yourself to keep your cool and just do what they say. Despite common believe, there is a reason to their madness, and the reason is that they're simulating the stress of a combat environment. That being said, I always just kept the thought in mind that it was one big game they were playing, so why not play the game? By the end of week 5/beginning of week 6 were all laughing at the stuff that two weeks prior was getting us nervous. The main thing you gotta discover about yourself is whether or not you have what it takes to operate in a combat environment. If you can't do it at OCS, there is no way you'll do it in the fleet.

G-1, 1st inc. '05

FlyinHigh

Good advice. The first couple of days will make you wonder what you got yourself into. Some candidates can't see past that. The instructors are there to make your life stressful as hell while your there. They want to see how you react in a stressful environment. If you crack from someone yelling at you or not being able to accomplish a task then you certainly will not be able to perform or lead Marines in a hostile territory. Just remember why you are there, think of the big picture, the light at the end of the tunnel. Like previously said, you are only doing this once (or twice if PLC) and every other Marine officer has gone through the same training. Just learn to have a thick skin and learn from the mistakes you make. You will come home and laugh at the games, yelling, and stupid things they made you do while you were there. Plus you are going through all of this stress with sixty other candidates who will become some of your best friends. Good luck.

stevo01

P_ubhi18 said:
Best advice is to just suck it up, listen to what the staff tells you and don't make the same mistake twice. When times got rough, I found solace in the fact that every officer on base went through the same exact thing and if they could do it, then there was no reason why I couldn't. I would also suggest that you try not to worry about the washout rate so much, instead focus on how you can succeed. You only have to go through this experience once, so make the best of it.

not always true :)

Crowbar

None
mrh001 said:
it is the mental part that concerns me the most.

If you start stressing about it this early, you're probably doomed. OCS, TBS, (insert whatever you want here), they're all things that you just have to do. The best way I've found is just take a deep breath and hit it head on. When you think you couldn't be any more miserable, look around. Somebody is more miserable than you, and they're still going.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar said:
The best way I've found is just take a deep breath and hit it head on. When you think you couldn't be any more miserable, look around. Somebody is more miserable than you, and they're still going.
Sounds like the military in general. The SWO motto....ok well, maybe my motto....It can always be worse.

If I were going into that situation, I'd try to keep in mind that the DI's have wives and kids too....and that makes em humam .