• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The reality of air combat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
I've seen this, talk about intense! Good post. You can see the missile contrails, scary.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Don't you know the pucker factor was high on that mission. :eek:
If that had been me they'd still be trying to pull the seat cushion out of my rectum.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
that's really going to give me some food for thought, come selection time. Really gives you a reality check about Naval aviation. It's not all fun and games. being a POW is one wrong move while flying over hostile territory. Personally, being a Jewish POW in IRAQ doesn't sound like much fun to me, yet I can't wait for my opportunity to serve despite all the risks. Does that make me crazy?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that's really going to give me some food for thought, come selection time. Really gives you a reality check about Naval aviation. It's not all fun and games. being a POW is one wrong move while flying over hostile territory. Personally, being a Jewish POW in IRAQ doesn't sound like much fun to me, yet I can't wait for my opportunity to serve despite all the risks. Does that make me crazy?

I know of several serving Jewish aviators, some removed the religion part from their dogtags, it is a legitimate concern but any American as a POW/hostage isnt in for a very good time. Having sat through a talk from a guy who was an Iraqi POW in Gulf I, they assume anyone who is circumcised is Jewish anyway.

And no it doesnt make you crazy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

To go along w/ what Skid said, I'd also not recommend you wear your Judaism (sp?) on your sleeve, as in don't make it who you are in such a hostile environment.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
I know of several serving Jewish aviators, some removed the religion part from their dogtags, it is a legitimate concern but any American as a POW/hostage isnt in for a very good time. Having sat through a talk from a guy who was an Iraqi POW in Gulf I, they assume anyone who is circumcised is Jewish anyway.

And no it doesnt make you crazy.

really? That's messed up. I would prefer to have my religion removed too. I look quite aryan as my mom converted so I don't think being jewish would be at the top of my concern list as I'm floating down to the Iraqi soil. I'm sure being a POW is no picnic, however I'd be more inclined to think torture and eventual execution is much more likely for those of the matzo-ball eating persuasion. Kind of grim, but I doubt I'll even think of this during my flights. I've heard from aviators that you don't concern yourself with any doubts or fear of death while flying missions, you just naturally block it out. Is this true?

joboy_2.0

Contributor
To go along w/ what Skid said, I'd also not recommend you wear your Judaism (sp?) on your sleeve, as in don't make it who you are in such a hostile environment.

certainly not. It's definitely good advice. Nobody knows I'm Jewish until I tell them (if I tell them- if it comes up) and I'm in Arizona, so I doubt that's a problem. If I'm this cautious of northern Arizona hicks/racists, then I am confident I can hide it well in a worst-case situation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure this video is supposed to be on the internet, then again... what ISN'T on the internet.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok here is the deal, a potential Aviators treatment by our current enemies based on his religion or heritage is a worthy topic of discussion. Whether a bunch of people on the internet think that someone does or does not belong to a certain religous, ethnic or any other group is a futile debate.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Would it be a gross violation of opsec to ask someone to explain some of the evasion going on there? I was surprised by several things...

The whole engagement seemed to occur at fairly low speeds, (I beleieve less the 400 kts the whole time)...I assume that this is to enable tighter turn radii?

There wasn't an extreme altitude/airspeed exchange like I had expected...I think only 3-4 thousand feet were lost over the whole two minutes. This isn't what my Tom Clancy indoctrinated :)D ) ignorant mind thought would happen. Why?

I guess overall, it surprised me that the engagement seemed more laterally dynamic than vertically...Is this typical...if there is such a thing? Are tactics signifigantly different as a single or a group?

Thanks for the post. Just looking for some tools to appreciate it more for what it is...not just as a "cool" video.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Maximum corner speed for the F-16 is 9 g's at 330 kts. Anything faster than 330 Kts will get you 9 g's, but turn rate will increase dramatically. Anything less than 330 will not give you enough lift over the wings to give you that many g's.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would it be a gross violation of opsec to ask someone to explain some of the evasion going on there? I was surprised by several things...

The whole engagement seemed to occur at fairly low speeds, (I beleieve less the 400 kts the whole time)...I assume that this is to enable tighter turn radii?

I think that question ought not to be answered on a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.