• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the truth about NFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
hey guys,

I'm just looking for a real description of an NFO's job... I know he's a weapons officer, not necssarily a navigator, etc., but what does all that really mean? What does he do, and are most NFOs really happy with it, or are must just guys who are doing something that was their second choice?
Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vast majority of NFOs really like it. My perpective is TACAIR though. The airborne job does depend on the plane you fly and mission. Only real Navs are on land based planes like P-3s and EP-3s, maybe E-6s, not sure. But Nav is usually a junior position. In P-3s you later qualify as a Tactical Coordinator and mission commander. In TACAIR the NFO runs the mission from the get go. There is a very good relationship between NFOs and pilots. Often good natured ribbing, but real respect. NFOs are not second class citizens. It is a real team effort. NFOs obviously need pilots, but the pilots wouldn't get the mission done, let alone the occasional life saving nudge if NFOs weren't in the cockpit. Some guys think they might not like being flown aboard the ship by someone else. If so, NFO isn't for them. It truely isn't a big deal. I am proud I had the 'nads to let a nugget bring me aboard those deck tossed dark *ss nights. Not that I ever took my eyes off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.