• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to know before moving to K-Bay

Rg9

pilot
I wish I had a little more gouge before coming out here, so hopefully this will save someone else some pain. Here's what I learned...
-----
Shipping HHGs... You're actually entitled to 2 shipments (regular HHGs and Unaccompanied Bags). UA is limited to 1000 lbs, and is supposed to be for getting your stuff there early, although it can take up to 42 days. Your total weight limit still applies for both (same weight limit as CONUS move).

Shipping car... You can ship 1 POV, but I think some smaller things like motorcyles can be shipped in HHGs (don't quote me on that). You'll have to drive it to a shipping place. If you want to get reimbursed for the drive, check with PSD before doing it. You might have to do the drive AFTER checking out of your command so it becomes an intermediate stop.

Shipping pets... You have to start at least 6 months out with shots, etc.. Go to the Hawaii website for more info. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know what lessons I'll learn!

When you get here:

BOQ... Check into the BOQ within 72 hrs of arriving, or you can't get TLA! They control your TLA (TLE but for overseas), of which you're authorized up to 60 days as long as base housing hasn't offered you a home (not sure if you have to check in with them, but I might just to be safe). Talk to Gary Johnson (the guy can be kind of a jerk, so expect it) at the BOQ for a SNA (Statement of Non-Availability), which just says they don't have base housing for you yet. You can still stay in the BOQ. Give the SNA's and BOQ/hotel receipts to your sqdn's admin and that should be enough to get the TLA. They're issued in 10 day blocks, so you have to keep going back. I'm not sure what this entitles you to out in town, but although the MCB BOQ doesn't look nice, I actually liked it - very peaceful, nice view and breeze, very close to work... Pearl Harbor and Hickam may have better BOQ's, but it's luck of the draw which one you'll get into.

Car registration... A pain! Follow these steps verbatim:
1. USAA insurance - call them to change it to Hawaii. You have to have a watermarked copy, which they'll have printed for you in Honolulu, but you only have one day to pick it up.
2. Go pick up your insurance card. Pay for parking.
3. Go to basically any auto mechanic and get a safey inspection $15 (no tint) or $20 (tint).
4. Go to your sqdn with insurance, safety inspection, and either expired/current registration from another state or a copy of the title and get an out of state residence form, which will exempt you from Hawaii taxes (up to $200+).
5. Go to a satellite city hall and give them everything from above (you'll need your title if you ever want to sell the car in Hawaii, as they give you a HI title... registration from another state is enough to just register your car here, however). Pay $25 (cash). They give you a copy of the HI registration and your plates.
6. Put your plates on your car.
7. Go BACK to the place where you got the safety inspection with everything from above and they'll put a sticker on your bumper (required for the state).
8. Wait until the base makes you change your stickers cause everything else was such a pain ;)... I've been here a couple months without problem.

Housing... also a pain. Kailua is probably your best bet. You'll be paying a lot, but it seems worth it (beautiful beaches, close to work, nice town...). If you want to live in Honolulu, look at Capitol Place - a very nice high rise apt bldg with its own gym, music rooms, theater, views if you get up high, security, etc. It's also pricey but very nice and almost on the Pali Hwy, which brings you to base within ~20 minutes. Kaneohe is a lot cheaper but it takes longer than you think to drive to base and it feels like a 3rd world country (all the beaches I know about are in Kailua too). Anything off H-1 will take forever due to traffic, although H-3 is quick (there's some stuff in Aiea near the H-3 with a 20-25 min drive to base). The Likelike looks quick, but it's not cause you have to go through Kaneohe. Base housing is very convenient but most of it is old and small (they're building new stuff slowly though). You can apply for Pearl Harbor housing, but you have to get a letter from the K-Bay office saying you're rejecting their housing. You can also try for Hickam or any of the Army bases. If you want a quick drive, look in the Red Hill Community (managed by both Navy and Army I think). It's a real quick hop on the H-3... maybe 20 minutes max to base. Also, when you move in, take really good notes re: damage. They try to take you for a lot our here. There's a big NEX/Commissary Shopping Mall near the airport plus on all the bases (obviously), so wherever you live you won't be too far from one. Check out: craigslist, ahrn.com, petsok.com (if you have them), and hotpads.com when searching.

Pets... It seems like a lot of houses will accept pets (sometimes even if they're advertised as no pets). Not sure about apts/condos. It's illegal for them to charge a pet deposit here (although they can increase rent), but since it's such a pain to get pets on the island, most people seem to trust you. I usually looked at a property before asking about the dogs, and almost every time they said it was fine (we have 3 too).

Other notes... You're NOT entitled to buy your dependents tickets and get reimbursed, even if multiple SATO reps told you.
---

Hope this helps, guys.

Rg9

pilot
Some more thoughts...

At least in P-3 world, house hunting leave is almost always given. They might schedule you for a flight or sim during it, however (don't complain... they don't have to give you any leave, but everyone here knows how hard housing can be so they try to honor it), so make sure you're studdied up before arriving. It'll get very busy once you start working.

Bring your snow skis. Apparently, there's a ski resort on one of the islands (yes, snow skiing).