• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking of joining up late in life

Antenox

Ok, I'm only 26 (turning 27 this August), so it's not exactly "late" in my life yet, but I would imagine that I'm a few years older than most people when they start considering the military. My first choice is probably Marines, then Navy.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that at my age, my only option would be OCS, if that's even a possibility at this point (unless there's a grad school option). My background, if it's at all relevant, is that I graduated five years ago from university with a B.S. in electrical engineering, and I've been working as a systems engineer since.

My question is, what's the process (beginning with walking into the recruiting office) for applying to OCS at my age and with my background?

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
At your age, if you're looking into aviation, you're going to have to start applying now, as 27 is the cut off age. Contact your local officer recruiter, and if you don't get a hold of them directly, make sure that you mention you're an engineer and have been one, that will instantly get you attention... and probably a hard sell on going nuke

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're up against the cutoff age for pilot, so if it's something you want to pursue, get on it immediamente. Look at NFO as well; the cutoff age is higher.

Go get ahold of your nearest Officer Recruiter (don't just walk into your nearest strip-mall recruiting office - their job is to get you to enlist). Assuming you don't have any criminal, serious medical (e.g., missing a leg) or citizenship issues, you'll take the ASTB and begin application for OCS.

BigRed389

None
Not sure if aviation is your only preference, but I have met a LOT of SWO, Intel, and Supply Corps officers who worked on the outside before joining. At one point, half the JOs in my wardroom had experience in the civilian sector, with ages being anywhere from 27-30.

Antenox

Words cannot express how much I would love to be a pilot, but actually, I don't know if I'd be medically qualified for aviation, since I had PRK eye surgery a couple of years ago (I think the Navy/USMC don't allow LASIK, but PRK is waiverable?)

In any case, this is really more of a general inquiry about achieving a commission, not specific to becoming a military pilot.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
PRK is allowed right now so you will be fine, assuming everything before the surgery and now check out

Different programs have different age requirements. Either way, your best bet is to talk w/ an officer recruiter - and again, having that engineering background will mean you're in demand for more than just aviation

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is, what's the process (beginning with walking into the recruiting office) for applying to OCS at my age and with my background?

First, you need to read the boards here and see that you have NO time to waste. Don't put anything off as a day could mean difference between getting in or having lost the opportunity...forever. To get your package before a board, you'll need to take the ASTB so read those boards on how to prepare. Even after selection by a board, you'll see "candidates" can get hung up in process awaiting resolution of a medical issue or awaiting a security clearance upcheck or several other unforeseen happenstances. You'll also see that you to take charge as best you can and engage with the Officer Recruiting staff. Sometimes they may not be in or reachable for agonizing periods of time. Everything you need to know is on the boards and initiative to do a little research counts. Your fate is largely in your hands. Get crackin'

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Words cannot express how much I would love to be a pilot
Keep in mind you won't be able to turn in a picture for your personal statement in your application. So start thinking about those words.

glass-h-2.jpg