• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This will make you proud

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Go this from a vietnam vet friend of mine, he was 1st Air Cav, makes fun of marines a lot, but respects the hell out of them.

This will make you proud!

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored
the uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

He is a graduate of Churchville-Chili Central School class of 1991 and
a proud graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology. Husband
and about-to-be father. First lieutenant (now Captain) in the United
States Marine Corps and a genuine hero.

The secretary of the Navy said so.

At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy
Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States
can bestow. That's a big deal. But you won't see it on the network
news tonight, and all you read in Brian's hometown newspaper was two
paragraphs of nothing. The odd fact about the American media in this
war is that it's not covering the American military. The most
plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true
information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have
fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out. And
we're almost on a first-name basis with the jerks who abused the Iraqi
prisoners. We know all about improvised explosive devices and how we
lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how
the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom but we don't hear about the
heroes. The incredibly brave GI's & Marines who honorably do their duty,
the ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth
Avenue. The ones we completely ignore. Like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a
platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a Humvee when all hell broke
loose. Ambush city. The young Marines were being cut to ribbons.
Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades. And the kid out of
Churchville was in charge. It was do or die, and it was up to him.

So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his
men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his
Humvee came under direct enemy machine gun fire. It was like shooting
fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish. Brian Chontosh gave
the order to attack. He told his driver to floor the humvee directly
at the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them And he had the
guy on top with the .50 cal unload on them.

Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and
Chontosh was still advancing, ordering his driver now to take the
Humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines.

Over into the battlement the Humvee went and out the door Brian
Chontosh bailed, carrying an M 16 and a Beretta and 228 years of
Marine Corps pride. He ran down the trench with its mortars and
riflemen, machine guns and grenadiers and he killed them all. He
fought with the M 16 until it was out of ammo. Then he fought with the
Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK 47
and fought with that until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up
another dead man's AK 47 and fought with that until it was out of
ammo. At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy
cluster, sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched
Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and
wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it. He would probably merely
say that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble.
Hoo-ah, and drive on.

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage
in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt.
Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest
traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says. And that's what nobody will hear.

That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news. Accounts of
American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts
of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you
wonder if the role of the media is to inform or to depress - to report
or to deride - to tell the truth, or to feed us lies.

But I guess it doesn't matter. We're going to turn out all right as
long as we have men like Brian Chontosh wearing our uniform.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
WOW. Great read. It is sad how the media portrays what it does, and lacks stories like this.

KBayDog

Any of you TBS bubbas have an opportunity to chat with Capt Chontosh? He showed up just as I was leaving, so he wasn't teaching/AI-ing yet.

gyrene

Marine SNA
KBayDog said:
Any of you TBS bubbas have an opportunity to chat with Capt Chontosh? He showed up just as I was leaving, so he wasn't teaching/AI-ing yet.

when did he get to TBS?

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
More proof that the media is great... for me to POOP on!

PropStop said:
The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering the American military. The most plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom but we don't hear about the heroes.
Hell, I'd be happy with just doom and gloom, as long as it was about Iraq. Our main media outlets are far more concerned with ratings than informing us.

Today I wasted about 45 minutes of my time watching CNN and FNC. Both devoted less than 3 minutes (I'm not making that up) on the recent bombings in Iraq and the fact that Syria just fired off some scud missiles. Then they proceeded to devote 20 minutes or more to the Michael Jackson trial including "legal experts" (read: paid idiots) running their sucks for no apparent reason!

That is NOT news. In should be illegal to include the word "News" in your channel's name if you report on guano like that. The sad part is that it is our pathetic culture that drives this kind of poop to be on TV. I love America, but some of us Americans are so out of touch with reality. Maybe why that's why we love reality TV so much.

Sorry for this pathetic rant. Capt Chontosh is a true hero and he deserves far more recognition than he will ever receive. A fact of life for those of us in uniform. We could (and do) save the world, but everyone seems more interested in what Paris Hilton had for lunch today. Fu*k em'

Oh yeah, and Semper Fi!

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
I'm sorry, but how can dumb story like Jessica Lynch's make the news as a "hero" and not this guy? [edit, this is the in reference to how the media hyped up her story and ignored the story of other female POW's]

I guess the problem isn't the news companies, but the people who watch it. The media goes after ratings.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fact that people can focus on inane drivel like much of what passes for "news" these days is actually proof positive that the military as a whole is doing its job exceptionally well. The fact that people can be horrified by invading a country and seeing as many casualties in a matter of years as was seen in a matter of DAYS in World War II says the same thing. Americans, for the most part, while being decent and good people, just don't realize how good they've got it.

More disturbing in my mind is the Jessica Lynch issue. She was lionized not for getting the job done but for being a victim. I worry when the ideal American in the media's eyes is someone who is at the mercy of events rather than their master.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
I agree with the fact that Capt. Chontosh is a true war hero. The question remains to be answered,though, would he enjoy being [over]recognized in the media? Having no personal experience of war to reference, I fall back on the experience of my great uncle, a WW2 82nd AB trooper. He, coming from a fairly small town in northern IL, always found news/interviews about his war experiences (Sicily, D-Day, Market Garden, etc) pretty disturbing and unpleasant. Even to his family, he does not really like to talk of his war experiences. With this in mind, I would say that Capt. C might not be too disappointed in the lack of media coverage. At any rate, he should be happy he and his family is not swamped with ElianGonzales-J.Lynch-Schiavo - level coverage.

This being said, I think the way the media is covering the war over in Iraq is really limited (newsflash...). There are plenty of stories out there that go unreported, whether or not that means we need more journalists, I don't know. I hope not.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
KBayDog said:

Yeah, he showed up to TBS for Alpha Co. I had the pleasure to meet him during our MOUT training (he was the primary instructor) Actually the first time I met him i was in a fighting hole behind the 240 G freezing my ass off and he came up behind me and was like "Hey devildog, howz it goin?" I had no idea who he was until the next day. What a freakin badass. Everyday he showed up to class with either a blackeye or a split lip from playing rugby or football. We also got a 2 hour class on what Iraq was REALLY like from the man. He showed us his slide show and described how he got his Navy Cross. He totally downplayed it to not sound too cocky, but everyone knew he was a hero. I would follow that guy anywhere! Super Moto!!!

freshy

pilot
Ajax said:
I'm sorry, but how can dumb **** like Jessica Lynch make the news as a "hero" and not this guy?

Wow, pretty harsh to call a fellow service member such things, but to each his own i guess. Oh and by the way she was like the first famale POW ever from the US Armed Forces. So I can see why the token blonde hair blue eyed American girl next door turned POW got so much press.

Also...If you wanted to air all of the heroic acts carried out by Marines in Iraq, you could start your very own news channel and have footage aired around the clock.

freshy

pilot
Hey Ajax,

You might want to correct your public Bio. You have written that you are a Marine Student Aviator. Uhhhh...... Last time I checked you had to actually be a Marine first. (going to juniors doesn't make you a commissioned officer in the Marines) Get a commission, graduate from TBS, check into NAS Pensacola, pass the NAMI physical, and start API then you might be able to use that title.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
freshy said:
Oh and by the way she was like the first famale POW ever from the US Armed Forces.
I don't have a stake in or care about your little spat here, but Lynch was not the first female POW. I know of two cases in the Gulf War, probably more out there.

Keeping it real,

Brett

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
Oh ****, my bad Freshy
I didn't mean to call her that!! I meant the "Jessica Lynch story". I just read what I wrote and it looked dumb. Doh!

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
freshy said:
Oh and by the way she was like the first famale POW ever from the US Armed Forces.

Not true. Here are a few you missed...

79 American women, nearly all Army or Navy nurses, were taken prisoner when the Philippines fell to the Japanese in May 1942.

Reba Whittle
Army Flight Nurse was Only U.S. Woman POW in WWII Europe (was posthumously recognized as a POW in 1992)

women-5.JPG

Melissa Rathbun-Nealy
Melissa Rathbun-Nealy, the first female POW during the Gulf War.

cornum.jpg

Rhonda Cornum
Captured by Iraqi soldiers and held eight days during the Gulf War.

Johnson05.jpg

Shoshana Johnson
Shoshana Johnson was America's first female POW of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and the first black female POW in US war history.

0_22_lynch_jessica.jpg

Jessica Lynch
Jessica Lynch, POW of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

freshy

pilot
Brett327 said:
I don't have a stake in or care about your little spat here, but Lynch was not the first female POW. I know of two cases in the Gulf War, probably more out there.

Keeping it real,

Brett

Thanks for "keeping it real" I knew she wasn't like the one and only female POW from the US. I was trying to simply make a point that female POW's probably get way more press than a Marine earning the Navy Cross.

Oh and if you really didn't care about the little spat...why did you post? See, I think you REALLY DO CARE!!!!! Come on don't run from your feelings!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.