• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

thoughts on the book......

beau

"No one left behind" The Lt. CDR Michael Scott Speicher Story
by Amy Waters Yarsinske

I just finished the audio book. And I must tell you that I'm really pissed off. I mean, I've been following the case a little bit....but some of the info in this book (tape :icon_mi_1 ) just makes me want to choke somebody. The statements of defectors of Iraq are just eye openning! Obviously we have invaded Iraq and still have not resolved the case........which, to me, seems odd. I'm sure there are all sorts of theories out there....could he be in Iran?

Anybody else have thoughts on the subject?

I looked at other posts on this topic, but its been a while since its been mentioned.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
It was my understanding that they found his initials on a cell in Iraq last year and some remains?

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
I don;t remember where I heard it, but I thought they had proved that those initials (first and last only?) were a coincidence and they new he hadn't been there, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
el capitan said:
I don;t remember where I heard it, but I thought they had proved that those initials (first and last only?) were a coincidence and they new he hadn't been there, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah they said something about the middle initial not making any sense. Also, on one of the websites, it said something like the last sighting of him was just before the war in 2003. I was dissapointed, as well, after reading that book, at all the stuff that went wrong.

If I recall correctly, his wife got remarried to someone, and then afterwards, they changed his status, which entitled the NOK to all the back pay (plus more pay since he got promoted to Cmdr.) and stuff like that. I think that since his parents were both dead, the lady was no longer his wife, and the two girls weren't legal age yet, that made his sister the official NOK. But the ex-wife ended up getting everything anyhow. Crazy...

KimberlyD

Yes, Speicher's wife remarried, she married his friend. And yep, his status was changed fr KIA to MIA following her marriage, he was also given a promotion in rank, I think he's a Captain, now? I don't think there was a payout though b/c his wife collected life insurance, DIC & many other benefits that outweighed the backpay.