• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time Lapse Build of a Super Hornet

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been in that plant and it's a pretty amazing process. Not much automation at all - some drilling rigs. Mostly lots of skilled manual labor.

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That's pretty wild, and a cool find. I had no idea these things were so labor intensive, I would have thought assembly would be way more automated, too. That'd be a cool tour.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's pretty wild, and a cool find. I had no idea these things were so labor intensive, I would have thought assembly would be way more automated, too. That'd be a cool tour.

Yeah, we got to see the actual airframes in various stages of build-up that were going to end up in our squadron. The Boeing folks love taking fleet guys through.

Brett

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
You should see how labor intensive it is when a P3 comes to us for MOD or SSIK. We just removed the wings from a tube today; Monday the rebuilding of said wings begins. It will be here for quite some time in various stages of rebuild.

nugget61

pilot
I was quite surprised at the amount of hands on too. Anyone know what the total build time for one airframe is?

jtmedli

pilot
Definitely very hands on...I figured they would be more automation and prefab stuff going on there. Very cool though. Nice to see they pay so much attention to something that we all might end up sitting in.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
That is pretty crazy. When I used to work at NADEP North Island, I remember seeing the F-18 charlies broken up into 3 or 4 parts being completely reworked. And I thought that was a lot of work....

Clux4

Banned
Might be a dumb question but I will ask all the same.
Why is aircraft production not heavily automated as automotive production is. Could it be a quality assurance issue or the fact that we will never build as many F-18's as say Ford F-150 to justify the cost of automating the process?

Might be a dumb question but I will ask all the same.
Why is aircraft production not heavily automated as automotive production is. Could it be a quality assurance issue or the fact that we will never build as many F-18's as say Ford F-150 to justify the cost of automating the process?

"An F-18 in every driveway!"

I'm not sure, maybe they don't want assembly line parts being stolen or rebuilt elsewhere? It's much harder to steal or train an entire team than it is to steal a machine or blueprints.

Okay, was able to watch it, that was really neat, I wish they had slowed down some parts like when it was all starting to come together. After seeing that, 50 million dollars starts to look like a bargain!