• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Timeline

Tom

pilot
Contributor
With OCS and flight school a year away, I am getting more curious as to a timeline for a pilot career. I am trying to figure out what different paths exist. I know nothing is set in stone and that the Navy changes. This is what I have gathered on the life of a jet pilot. Here is what I think I know:

OCS - 3 Months (done August 2007)
Flight School - 2-3 years, round up to 3 years with 6 months of waiting (done February 2011)
RAG, which I believe is training into a specific platform - 8 months (done October 2011)
First duty - 2-3 years, How much time is roughly spent at sea? (done October 2014)
Second duty - 2-3 years, again time at sea (done October 2017)
Third duty - 2-3 years, Usually a shore duty? (done October 2020)

My overall questions have to deal with time at sea, required shore duty and assignments. Through a progression of getting promoted and the assumption that the aircraft does not get retired, what specific jobs can be entailed? What could life be like? I know that one can not really know what they want to fly until they start training, but seeing as there is a wide variety of aircraft flown by aviators on this board, what has your career been like?

Tom

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a couple of threads about the "Life of..." here you can read through. Because there's so many differences, it's hard to narrow it down. As for your timeline, there's a few corrections:

Flight School - 2-3 years, round up to 3 years with 6 months of waiting (done February 2011)

That would be if you went jets. If you get selected Props or helos it's more like 14-18 months (hurricanes/hail storms notwithstanding).

RAG, which I believe is training into a specific platform - 8 months (done October 2011)

Again, this is dependent on the community. Even communities w/in a particular pipeline have varying timelines. Sometimes whichever coast you're on can determine time to train.

First duty - 2-3 years, How much time is roughly spent at sea? (done October 2014)
Second duty - 2-3 years, again time at sea (done October 2017)
Third duty - 2-3 years, Usually a shore duty? (done October 2020)

First tour is a sea tour. Again, depends on community, but usually two 6 month deployments plus workups, which can vary, again, on community. Second tour is a shore tour, and is usually 30-33 months. No sea time, generally, but there's always exceptions. Third duty may or may not be a disassociated sea tour (again, depending on the community), but will undoubtedly involve at least one deployment. Usually the tour is about 24 months or so.

Hope that helps.