• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Titanic search was cover for Cold War search for lost subs

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might have been a cover for the inspections / radiation monitoring of the subs. They had both been found prior to 1985.

The Scorpion was found in late 68. Attached is picture taken by the Trieste in 1968.

Attachments

• 300px-USS_Scorpion_%28SSN-589%29%3BU136658.jpg
    300px-USS_Scorpion_%28SSN-589%29%3BU136658.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 139

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been a while since I read Bob Ballard's book, but as I recall, the Navy wanted to use Alvin to get a good look at the wreck of Scorpion. It had indeed already been found, but Alvin has better maneuverability and cameras than Trieste did. Since Scorpion is in roughly the same patch of ocean as Titanic, Ballard talked the Navy into paying the bill for the whole expedition in exchange for use of Alvin. Plus, he was a Navy Reservist at the time, so it worked out.

GroundPounder

Wouldn't be the first time that someone said they were doing one thing and really doing another. For example the Glomar Explorer and the K129.

That Ballard guy always reminds me of Super Dave Osborn, or Marty Funhauser depending on how old you are.:)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ballard came and talked at the Boat Skool during my incarceration once or twice. Really interesting lectures, definitely one of the Top 5 Boreusall speakers. Wasn't the usual "look at the cool stuff I did, yay me" most of those guys did. Talked a bit about his expeditions, lots about the technical side, rapped about deep-submergence programs in general, and how the Navy needs to think out of the Fast Attack/Boomer box.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...not trying to knock Ballard at all...but he didn't "find out" anything. That is not the whole story. Causes, locations etc...were all "known". Other resources are available...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Given the above ... a general question, if I may: how about Ballard & the YORKTOWN?? What's your "search rationale" there ??? :confused: