• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To Be a U.S. Naval Aviator *Book Review*

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
I just finished reading To Be A U.S. Naval Aviator by Jay Stout today. My overal rating of the book was that it was pretty good. I thought the chapters on API and Primary were very well written. Being a former Hornet guy naturally he would write more about the advanced jet pipeline as you could see b/c he had two chapters for the T-45. B/C of this I thought that the other chapters on the rotary wing and multi engine advance syllabi were kind of lacking. There was still good info in those chapters but were lacking compared to the gouge on the jet syllabus. But like I said it was a good read. There was not much new info that I had not read on this site but the pictures make it worth the price of only $13 from amazon.com.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I'll have to check that book out. From your description it sounds like it could be a good read.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Well, I heard that LtCol. Stout wasn't welcomed with open arms at the maritime and helo advanced like he was at Kingsville. Some stories floating around Kingsville about how he couldn't get rides in those aircraft or the commands weren't as accomodating. I remember when he was following around one of the studs down there a little over a year ago.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
brd2881 said:
Well, I heard that LtCol. Stout wasn't welcomed with open arms at the maritime and helo advanced like he was at Kingsville. Some stories floating around Kingsville about how he couldn't get rides in those aircraft or the commands weren't as accomodating. I remember when he was following around one of the studs down there a little over a year ago.
Why would people act like that?

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
brd2881 said:

Maybee they were out of doughnuts and coffee.

haha man im an idiot, I have that book...I didn't even realize that was the one you guys were talking about. "How to be a U.S. Naval Aviator" oops.
I liked it btw.

petescheu

Yeah I know several people showcased in that book (photographs and such), always fun in that regard.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll also put in a plug for the book. Seems to be a good overview of flight school in general and it's also less dated and melodramatic than "Air Warriors." A bit jet-centric, but don't forget our pipeline is longer too, so there's more to cover.