• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomahawk and Hellfire Missile Programs Being Eliminated?

BigRed389

None
So I saw this and was wondering what people thought? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/25/obama-kill-navys-tomahawk-hellfire-missile-program/

Making a mountain out of a molehill or is this very bad?

It depends. On a lot of things. Some of which can't be talked about here.

For example...what does "kill" the program mean? If it means we have no TLAM production capability with no restart capability possible for a decade, yeah, that might be a problem. Or not. If we have 8000 in inventory and we really only expect to need 4000, we're covered for even some crazy contingencies. If we only have say 4050, then that might be a problem. No idea what the actual numbers, but it was probably considered in the decision making process. If the restart interval is only 1 year, maybe not so bad.

And despite what the article says I can't imagine that the SWO (and sub) bubbas are actually planning to replace TLAM with LRASM. That would be incredulously stupid.

azguy

None
The below article is a little more balanced... No "Obama is killing xyz" rhetoric. The 'Times' also made a serious accounting error in saying all TLAMs will be depleted by 2018, not true.

Obviously, "aircraft and weapons" take the biggest hit in the Navy's budget this year. It's easier to crank out a P-8 or a shipment of TLAMs if we need them in a pinch than it is a DDG or SSN.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...S-Navy-Budget-Takes-Bite-Out-Aircraft-Weapons

And despite what the article says I can't imagine that the SWO (and sub) bubbas are actually planning to replace TLAM with LRASM. That would be incredulously stupid.

It has to happen eventually. Your problem is with the gap between shutting down the TLAM line and IOC of LRASM?

My question for the aviators, is there an identified replacement for Hellfire?

Random8145

Contributor
It depends. On a lot of things. Some of which can't be talked about here.

Yes, I understand there is classified stuff that can't be discussed on a public forum. I figured I'd ask the question because the Washington Times is a pretty right-wing publication, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are blowing things out of proportion. But it also would not surprise me with this current administration if they really are seeking to make dangerous cuts either.

For example...what does "kill" the program mean? If it means we have no TLAM production capability with no restart capability possible for a decade, yeah, that might be a problem. Or not. If we have 8000 in inventory and we really only expect to need 4000, we're covered for even some crazy contingencies. If we only have say 4050, then that might be a problem. No idea what the actual numbers, but it was probably considered in the decision making process. If the restart interval is only 1 year, maybe not so bad.

Well I hope they know what they are doing, and also have taken contingencies into consideration, as sometimes crazy stuff happens in the world, and the world currently isn't look peace-laden at the moment IMO.

Random8145

Contributor
The below article is a little more balanced... No "Obama is killing xyz" rhetoric. The 'Times' also made a serious accounting error in saying all TLAMs will be depleted by 2018, not true.

Obviously, "aircraft and weapons" take the biggest hit in the Navy's budget this year. It's easier to crank out a P-8 or a shipment of TLAMs if we need them in a pinch than it is a DDG or SSN.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...S-Navy-Budget-Takes-Bite-Out-Aircraft-Weapons

It has to happen eventually. Your problem is with the gap between shutting down the TLAM line and IOC of LRASM?

I see; thank you for the information and link.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

For killing tanks? Not yet, but I believe there is a program of record for a new joint missile. For what hellfires have actually been used for, there is APKWS. They won't just stop having the capability that hellfire offers.

BigRed389

None
Your problem is with the gap between shutting down the TLAM line and IOC of LRASM?

Kind of. Mainly I just don't think LRASM fits. If nothing, it's pretty stupid to send a sophisticated (and expensive) antiship missile and seeker package to just nosedive into a GPS coordinate. But I don't think that's the intent either, so another thing the article and it's quoted sources don't seem to have got quite right.

That leaves the questions of what that next gen TLAM is going to be (scramjet?), if its development will survive future budgets, how long it takes to hit the Fleet, and how long it takes to restart the TLAM line if we run into something that causes us to drop a lot of TLAMs somewhere in the world, overall program inventory numbers, etc.

But I'm pretty sure they've considered all that.

Last edited: